eheim 2215 questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I have had this filter for about four years and I love it. I did maintenance yesterday and decided I needed some new tubes, they are getting very stiff. Can the stuff from the hardware store work? Also, I have the same media since I bought it, except for the filter floss of course. The little rocks seem to be breaking down. Should I replace it. I know there is some good bacteria in there. I don't use carbon, should I run some during the next cycle in between cleanings?

I see there is an oxygen diffuser available. Are they worth it?

TIA!!!!!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I should have put this in the general freshwater forum.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Eheim tubing is metric, but there are inch equivalents that will work. They may require use of a hose clamp to tighten it, or heat to get it to stretch over a fitting, but it will work.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I'll order the eheim then. I will probably order the oxygen diffuser also. I assume is just replaces the spray bar.

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
I'll order the eheim then. I will probably order the oxygen diffuser also. I assume is just replaces the spray bar.
IMO the diffuser is a waste of money. It is a venturi valve and the same can be achieved with a powerhead or even airstone. Spraybars are more beneficial (again this is my opinion).

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
so perhaps I should get a powerhead and add that. I have a pretty powerful older air pump on a long air wand in there right now that I crank up during the day. Are powerheads typically loud? I might be interested in getting one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store