Eheim 2217 or Rena XP3?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
Wow Matt, thank you. With an adjustable flow and a spray bar I think I'll be alright. I really appreciate your help.

thank you everyone for your input... that's what makes this a great forum :)

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
DIYMatt, excellent write-up on the two filters!
I'm sure superjohnny will be satisfied.

One more thing about the high price of Eheim is that it comes from Germany..(?) Count on paying more for that..

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
Yea Matt that was really nice of you to share like that... *applause*

That said I ordered the XP3. If I have too much water movement the angels will just have to get in better shape ;) With a spray-bar it shouldn't be a big deal. We'll soon find out.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Filtstar XP3 gets my vote. I have 1 and am getting 2 more. To slow down the flow rate, you can just add more sponge/foam media in the baskets. The flow rate lever on the spray bar makes a whistling noise. I took off the lever from the piping.

www.bigalsonline.com

is the cheapest place to get one.

Last edited:

Gunnie

Newbie forever
Jun 8, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
www.egunsellers.com
I am pretty new to the hobby, and when I got a 110 high tank, I started looking at canister filters. I chose the Filstar XP2 first, loved it, and got an XP3. I really like the media baskets which make cleaning much easier. Another feature I read about when comparing filters was that it has an automatic shut off so the motor won't overheat. I also was sold on the price which was much cheaper than other filters at the same gph rate. I got both of them on ebay. I got my XP3 for $90.00 including shipping! I think you will be very happy with your decision. The technical support is also excellent.

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
You're welcome everyone. Superjohnny- I think you will be very happy with that filter. I want to second Chefkeith's advice about the flow adjustment thingy on the Renas. Also, it's just another peice that could possibly leak. I wouldn't use it either.

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
I have a Rena XP3 and love it! About the flow adjuster, you have 2 options with it. 1, use the venturi setup and let the bubbles flow. Or 2, Rena supplies a plug for the flow adjuster. In this case, if you don't want bubbles, but want flow control; just plug the hole!! I have never had any problems with mine in any catagory. Maintnece is a breeze, priming is easy. You can't go wrong with this filter. Have fun!!! My only, only complaint about the XP3 is the mounting problem I have with the intake/outtake tubes. Anywho, you will enjoy your new filter!! Ciao!

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Thanks silver_ shark.

I didn't even know there was a plug for the flow lever. I looked around in my spare parts bin and there it was. I hooked up the lever with the plug in the hole and whistling sound is gone.

Thanks again for correcting me.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I just got my xP3 yesterday and set it up a few hours ago. It's awesome. The media compartments are great and they threw in a thing of ceramic rings for free. I will definitely be buying more of them for my next tanks.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by NJ Devils Fan
I just got my xP3 yesterday and set it up a few hours ago. It's awesome. The media compartments are great and they threw in a thing of ceramic rings for free. I will definitely be buying more of them for my next tanks.
Great! It's a real nice design!!
I'm getting another for my new All Glass 125 gallon. I may still use the Fluval 404, or retire it with the sale of the 80 gallon.. ! :cool: :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store