Electric Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedwulfTech

Registered Member
Jul 18, 2016
My neighbor is moving and offered me a 200 gallon tank, I haven't gotten the measurements yet but I assume its no irregular shape of size.
I've always found bioelectrogenesis interesting, so I'm really considering an "electric catfish". I know they aren't pretty nor friendly.
I've had a bumblebee catfish before, but obviously there's a huge difference. .
There are 19 species ranging from 4 foot max size to 6 inches...so obviously I can try to get a smaller species but the Malapterurus electricus seems to be the common one and I'm assuming regardless of what the store claims that's what I'll be getting and I don't want to stunt its growth(I'll find it a new home if it does get too large). This has probably been asked before..
But just in case would 200 gallon be acceptable if the fish does get to 2+ feet or at what size should I start thinking about re-homing it? any other advice is appreciated.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I looked it up and the standard size for a 200 gallon tank is 96″ x 24″ x 20.″ I would ask your neighbor to confirm, but IMO as long as the width of the tank is equal to the max length of the fish, it should have room to turn around in and should be an adequate tank size if the length is appropriate. The length is 4 times the length of the fish, in my mind it would be appropriate. However, it should be the only fish in the tank and you'll need to stay on top of water changes when it gets larger. I'm sure you know, but carnivorous fish have quite the bioload and will require quite large water changes.

It couldn't hurt to go and pose your question in the catfish section on the sister site, Monster Fish Keepers. You're likely to get much more responses from people who have kept them personally.

RedwulfTech

Registered Member
Jul 18, 2016
I looked it up and the standard size for a 200 gallon tank is 96″ x 24″ x 20.″ I would ask your neighbor to confirm, but IMO as long as the width of the tank is equal to the max length of the fish. carnivorous fish have quite the bioload and will require quite large water changes.

It couldn't hurt to go and pose your question in the catfish section on the sister site, Monster Fish Keepers. You're likely to get much more responses from people who have kept them personally.
I've seen some variations in tank measurements, but yes I'll be measuring this week.
Carnivorous and an appetite too.
Alright, thanks!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have seen Electric cats at the LFS many times. IMO, they hide all the time and are very boring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store