emaciated gecko help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
so far i haven't seen him eat anything how do you force feed a gecko also how what type of baby food do you suggest?
Depending on how small this gecko is it's not going to be easy. You can use a medical syringe (minus the needle) and fill it with chicken or beef baby food. You'll need to gently yet firmly hold the gecko in one hand and gently pull the skin under the throat so that the mouth opens. It's a lot easier if you have 2 people doing this. Squirt a small amount of baby food into the geckos mouth. Another thing you can do is to place a little baby food around the mouth of the gecko. With luck it will lick this off.

pongo

AC Members
Mar 9, 2010
Minnesota
how's the lighting/temp/humidity in his enclosure? I second the wax worm idea. It is also possible to inject most food items with water to increase water consumption. Needle and syringe, fill with h20 inject into food item. typically by the time these critters show signs of illness they are very far gone, you are doing your best by researching here on the forum, but I definetely rec doing more research into environmental requirements. Best of luck to you :)

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
i think i have hi tank set up pretty well i was actually already going to get a leo just wasn't expecting to get this one so i have a fair idea. hopefully if i can just keep him eating i he should recover some.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
you may be able to use a baby medicine syringe if need be. you can get them at any walmart or drug store.

you might try tong feeding him to be sure you see him eat. of course the crickets will kick their back legs off to get away so you might want to let them do that and then grab them by their other legs... or by the body.

he might prefer drinking droplets to standing water, so misting his cage might be a good idea. just enough to wet his head and make him lick and leave droplets to drink up for a few minutes. of course make sure it dries up when he's done...

call every local bait shop... and ask some locals you know that like to fish what shops they like. often bait shops will keep wax worms in the off season for us reptile keepers... i have one local that does.

all good advice by v_f!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Bummer man but hey, at least you tried your best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store