Emily's Pond Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Geez. Nobody else is excited about my news? Here I thought I had found the only place that anyone would care about minnow fry! Come on people. Celebrate with me! :)

I announced it on Facebook too. Nobody there was overly excited either. LOL

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!! You have minnow fries!
So now I have to ask...are they good with ketchup? LOL

*doing the happy dance for you*

Just kidding :) Congrats on your new pond kids...oh, and you better finish your in-ground pond before you start an above-ground one :)
Jen

rowenna7

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2011
Your pond is gorgeous, and congrats on the minnow fry! I had my tropicals out in my 500gal pond all last summer and they multiplied like crazy. Never had any tadpoles though.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I've had toads and tree frogs singing in and around the pond for a few months now. They LOVE it. And my yard is SO loud at night!! LOL. I wonder if my neighbors hate me for putting this noise machine out there?? Those tree frogs are louder than anything else in the yard for sure!

Anyway, I caught site of a "mystery fish" yesterday in the pond. I wish I had gotten a better look at it. I am 99% sure it is not any of the goldfish that I put in and subsequently lost (haven't seen since introducing them to the pond - assuming neighborhood cat or racoon). It was too small for one of them. The ones I put in were all 5"+ and this looked to be in the 3" range. But it did not look like a minnow either. It was a very dark color with what appeared to be orange stripes. Wide orange stripes. Almost like what you'd find on a clown loach??? It came flying up to the top of the water when I put flakes out after work yesterday, it actually jumped half out of the water to eat and then went scooting back down to the bottom of the pond. So I only caught sight of it for like... I don't know 2 or 3 seconds?? not long enough to really register anything but - "what the heck is that fish??" I tossed a few more flakes in, hoping it would come up to the surface again, but no dice. I waited a while and never saw it again. So I'm really confused about that.

The minnows are getting plenty big, but they're all solid colors - either pinkish for the rosy reds or brown for the fatheads. No stripes on any of them. Just very confusing...

On a good note, the minnow fry all still seem to be quite happy skimming just under the surface at the end farthest from the filter, and the tadpoles appear to be growing too. Still not sure what they are, but I'll be happy with whatever they turn into. :)

Another question - is it possible that snakes may be dining on my goldfish? I've really just never seen a sign of any cat or racoon activity in my yard, so I am not 100% sure what is making the goldies disappear. And if it is a snake, there probably isn't much I can do to deter it since the net, scarecrow, and electric fence options are all pretty pointless for them. Just a thought.

Hoping to get some pics up this weekend. I have a ton on my camera from the last month but just haven't had time to upload them. So I'll see about doing that in between my gardening this weekend.

Man it feels good to be done with this degree! No homework for the first time in ages! :)

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Looking fantastic. Can't wait to see all the plants grow in.

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
Yay fish babies! I can't wait to see new pics I have been following this thread from day one :) Also very jealous of your no more homework. I am in the last two weeks of school and wondering what on earth made me think bio would be a good major. Congrats on your degree! What did you major in?

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
CONGRATS!!!!!!! That's so cool seeing that the animals are so happy and healthy in your creation.

Yes, some species of snake will snack on your fish. Garter snakes for one.

That's really odd about the mystery fish. Try to get a picture? I wonder how it got in there...

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
My major was Supply Chain and Operations Management (read: BORING), but as it's what I do for a living, they thought I should be educated in it.

And I have not seen the mystery fish since the other day. I fed again after work yesterday but no sign of it. Minnows showed up, but that was all. I will keep watching. As fast as it was, I don't know how on earth I'll get a picture, but will try.

I'll do my best to get some new pics up this weekend. :) Man the freedom of sleeping in today knowing I didn't HAVE to do anything in particular was AWESOME! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store