Emily's Pond Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I have been MIA for almost a year! Yikes!

The pond is still in good shape. My only issue is that I blow through pumps like crazy. :( I don't know what the deal is there, but am gonna start another thread on that.

Good news is the goldies started spawning, so I have quite a few goldfish fry as well as a kazillion minnows yet. Algae is still an issue, but again - the sunlight is the culprit. Now that fall is here, and the days are shorter, it's clearing up - just like last year. But I imagine next year will be more of the same, at least until the trees grow a bit more and shade it better.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I might have missed this, since I didn't read the whole thread, (36 pages!!) but you're apparently having a problem with phytoplankton? Do you have any anacharis/egeria densa/elodea? That plant is a nitrate hog and would clear up the water for you.

Also, do you add food to the pond? If so, that's most likely why you have additional nitrates.

What are the nitrate levels in the pond?

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
More hair algae than phytoplankton, although in the summer the water greens up quite nicely. Couldn't tell you what nitrates are at the moment. Haven't tested in ages as it's been rock solid for a long time. I don't have anacharis because it doesn't survive the winter - or so I was told. I have stuck mostly to plants that can over-winter in the pond, with the exception of floating plants that I remove each fall (easy to net them out) - water lettuce and water celery.

I feed the fish once a week or so - not very often at all. But like I said, the pond gets loads of sunlight. During the summer, it's a good 12 hours a day of next to no shade. As the trees grow in, that will change. I've debated putting a shade cloth over it, but to be honest the algae doesn't bother the fish, and it may even be what protects them from predators. So I'm not overly concerned. Eventually it will not get so much direct sun, and the algae won't be such an issue. In the meantime I'll keep filtering and keep it planted, and the fish will hopefully remain happy and reproducing. :)

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Okay; it sounds like you've got everything under control!

Just wanted to make a note though: in case you ever do want to try Anacharis, I'm pretty sure that as long as it stays below the frost line, it'll live through the winter. In the spring, however, it will lose almost all of its leaves and appear to be dead, but will come back just fine.

The pond looks great! You did a fantastic job!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store