Emperor 400 or Aquaclear

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
Hate the emperors - had a couple they were both loud. Now my HOBs are strictly penguin - mainly 350s but have a few of the smaller ones as well. Never had a noisy penguin impeller.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I have four emperor 280's running, all quiet and have not had any issues with them ever, they've been up and running for year. I'm also running an AC 110 which blows the small fish around a bit. I prefer the emperors.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I think I just about have one of every popular HOB filter in my parts box! I have found that the two I like best are the Penguins and the AquaClears. I also have a couple of spray bar systems that seem to work quite well. I currently run an AC70(300gph) on a very lightly stocked 55 and a AC110(500gph) on my 90. They give me no grief at all.

meili.harrison

Love my plecos!
I just got my Emperor 400 on Saturday, ordered at petsmart.com and used a coupon. I ended up only paying $36 for it! I set everything up and I'm happy with it. It is not that noisy, the little splashing sound is quite nice and soothing. The aquarium is not in my bedroom, so it doesn't bother me at all. Thanks everyone for your input!!

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
From the mechanical filtration and economical stand-point I prefer the Aquaclear. The filtration sponge is not only very effective at mechanical filtration, but also doesn't have to be replaced at the interval that filter cartridges do (the sponges are highly re-usable and can last for years).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store