Endlers problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
I've had these endlers for almost a year. They live in a 45 gallon tank with Corys, neons, and bristlenoses. My problem is that I haven't seen these live bearers have any fry. All the females are fat, gravid and such for over 5+ months. I haven't seen any fry in the tank. Anyone got a reason why? Tank parameters are fine. The aquarium itself has been running for 2 years. Help appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
Endler fry are extremely small. They will get eaten even by the parents. And probably by the neons. They seem to do best when there are a lot of places to hide well, like a big area of java moss.
If you can, I would put them in a smaller tank, say a 10 gallon with a good sized amount of Java moss and you'll get to see some fry.
Also, I found feeding my Endlers at least 3 times a day with varied finely crushed foods seems to help. The person that sold me them said they empty their stomachs every ten minutes!! Keeping up with the water changes are easier in a smaller tank too.
I do keep ramshorn snails in their tank. Two reasons. They eat the extra foods and supposedly there is something beneficial from snail droppings for fry.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
Yeah, they are tiny. They need lots of hiding spots. I keep them in a HEAVILY planted (like can't see the back of the tank) tank and have fry. Deffinately get some mosses for them.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
In a community tank, you will likely never see any fry. They will get gobbled by all the other fish quickly. As the others have said, a heavily planted endler's only tank is what you need if you want to see fry.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store