ER Kit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
2-4 weeks of continuous salt treatment along with heat normally will wipe out all life stages of ich.

Cavan02

AC Members
Jul 30, 2016
For ich the best treatment is salt and heat over time. If you do a salt dip you won't kill the ich. Salt makes the eggs unable to hatch, but it doesn't kill the parasite. Only time will.
Getting copper tuesday, keeping heat on 87. I think i will do a salt bath tomorrow to help the fish get some rielf until the ich is all dead. I heard giving fish salt baths will remove the ich from thier gills, is this true? please get back to me on this by tomorrow morning, or if anyone knows, please reply to this comment and tell me.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
To answer the original question...

It really depends on what meds you have access too close to you.. some people will have a bunch of LFS/LPS/Big Box Stores relatively close to them and can go pick up meds within a matter of minutes... some have to travel hours to do the same.

If you are worried, it's always better to have a med available than it isn't... if you're in the habit of buying new fish frequently, that will also add to the problem.

So check what you may need, and don't have available to you closely.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Getting copper tuesday, keeping heat on 87. I think i will do a salt bath tomorrow to help the fish get some rielf until the ich is all dead. I heard giving fish salt baths will remove the ich from thier gills, is this true? please get back to me on this by tomorrow morning, or if anyone knows, please reply to this comment and tell me.
I'm in the UK (I know most people here are US based), so I have no idea what morning is for you unfortunately. If it were me I wouldn't do a salt dip. Netting the fish and then dipping them in salt is likely to cause more stress. Don't get me wrong, it's good for some things, but I wouldn't do it here.
I've never used the copper method because I've always has inverts and plants. So I can't comment on that

Cavan02

AC Members
Jul 30, 2016
I'm in the UK (I know most people here are US based), so I have no idea what morning is for you unfortunately. If it were me I wouldn't do a salt dip. Netting the fish and then dipping them in salt is likely to cause more stress. Don't get me wrong, it's good for some things, but I wouldn't do it here.
I've never used the copper method because I've always has inverts and plants. So I can't comment on that
It's 2:50 pm here if that help you understand the timezone diffrence, thank you for uploading, unfortnatly i have allready done the salt dip to them, and it seemed to help a lot, copper is coming in tomorrow so ill be able to treat the ICH. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store