Evaporation and topping off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
When the water level is low due to evaporation, should I be topping off with fresh RO? Since salt does not evaporate? Are there any rules that need to be followed on this?

Thanks

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
Yes you should be using fresh RO water. The only real rule I can think of other than it be RO is that you should do it as needed, meaning not to let it get too low as it will raise your salinity and then when you top off, the more water that you add will cause more of a change and so possibly create stress.

wongster

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Only other thing is that if it does get really low, not to add too much RO in one go as the inhabitants can probably cope with gradual change caused by evaporation (if it is slow) but if you add loads of RO too quickly then you could lower the salinity rapidly esp if its a small tank. of course this depends on the size of your tank. best to add a little bit at a time over a matter of hours to be safe if it's a big drop.

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
How much is an acceptable swing? I have had to top off a gallon every day. **** Arizona! Today I did measure before and after and found that it went from 34/1.025, to 31/1.023. acceptable, or should I be more concerned. Numerically speaking that doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm also not a fish living in a salt bath.

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
sounds like a 55 gallon tank?
haha, just playing with numbers,
it would be even better if you dropped it one at a time

Actually, it's a 30g. I had a canopy on it, but was told that I should take the top off and to add a fan to get a good gas exchange. Well I did both, and now I seriously need to look into some sort of water leveling. Even if with just a bucket of RO water for now. I've been adding fresh water every morning after I feed the tank. I'm not sure how else to split this up unless I start topping off twice per day... holy geeze! On a side note, it's sort of like having a humidifier in the house :) LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store