Ever wonder about porcupines?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
you're right, the porcupine probably didn't start the fight, but I can't help but feel sorry for the pit anyway. That looks way painful. I will say though, that it looks to me like the dog wasn't just sniffing the porc to get that many quills, I wonder if it tried to catch the porcupine.

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
Thats a Bull Terrier not a Pit Bull. Think Don Cherry and his dog blue Thats what this dog is. But they are very similar to a Pitty in personality, thus meaning they are very very determined and when they want something they dont stop no matter how much pain they go through. It reminds me of a Pitty that was protecting its owner from a man with a knife. The man stabbed the dog 22 times and each time he stabbed it barely reacted and kept attacking him till the man finally hit its spinal cord and killed it.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
i agree thats not an actual pitbull...although quite a few people confuse them or lump them together. I do feel sorry for the dog ..and porcupines can actually project their quills ..chances are the dog was smelling for it got to close and the pocupine fired in fear for itself , or in defence of its young...the dog reacted the way most dogs would. i had a rottie that got into one and they are a mess ..that dog is probably in alot of pain. regardless of that animals stupidity, i dont want to see any animal in that much pain. if that were YOUR dog would you feel differently? and i surmise that you would regardless of how you answer, what if it were a child that had those quills? that dog is somebodys baby...

Boohoo

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Bridgewater,Nova Scotia
I sure all you dog owners are aware of this, but I'll post anyway. A friend of mine had a beagle that got in a scrap with a porcupine. Most people around here pull the quills out themselves when that happens, but she took him to the vet for removal. The vet got them all out and she took the dog home. In a few days the dog died. When she returned to the vet they determined that one of the quills must of been broke off and travelled through to the dogs heart. So be careful if you chose to remove them yourself.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Pretty scary stuff--the dog must have gone after the porcupine pretty hard. Another tip--cut the tip of the quills off before pulling them out. This deflates the quills and makes them easier to get out--though for that many, I'm guessing the dog went to the vet (and to get antibiotics). I've only dealt with quills once, when a dog got out and spent a week running around. She rolled in a DEAD porcupine, ended up with about 20 quills in her back (and smelling to high heaven). We had the vet remove them (and treat her for fleas, ticks, etc), and they x-rayed to make sure they got all the quills.

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Yeah, that wasn't a casual encounter between terrier and porcupine. Check out this front image... the terrier had quills buried inside it's mouth. The terrier tried the bite down on the the porc, at least once.

Bet it won't be doing THAT again.

FishSeller

AC Members
Apr 28, 2005
It's like I've always said: If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.

It's pretty obvious that this dog was hit several times by the porcupine before he finally gave up. I've had pointers get into porcupines and usually they only receive around a dozen quills or so.

That's what makes me nervous about dogs like that. When an animal shows no regard to pain such as being impaled by a porcupine, what would someone do if they were attacked? It would come down to you or the dog and that could take a while.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
and porcupines can actually project their quills ..chances are the dog was smelling for it got to close and the pocupine fired in fear for itsel
Actually, they can't. They give the attacker a good old whack with their tail...

That's going to be an expensive visit to the vets off ;).
Poor thing.

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
FishSeller said:
It's like I've always said: If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.

It's pretty obvious that this dog was hit several times by the porcupine before he finally gave up. I've had pointers get into porcupines and usually they only receive around a dozen quills or so.

That's what makes me nervous about dogs like that. When an animal shows no regard to pain such as being impaled by a porcupine, what would someone do if they were attacked? It would come down to you or the dog and that could take a while.
What makes you nervous is being un-educated about the animals. These dogs are bred to be aggressive towards other animals. They are not bred to be aggressive towards humans. They have to be tought aggression towards humans. My female Pitty hates rodents and birds, and will try to chase them the minute she sees them, but has never ever even growled at a human unless I told her to. She has readily killed the gophers in the field near my home and will kill mice, rats, racoons, but loves cats and most other dogs. Most working dogs which these species fall under, are trained for labour and farm protection, what is one of the biggest threats to a farm? Not people, its rodents and birds and other wild animals.
As for the pain tolerance, when the breed has been used in dog fighting and bull baiting etc. they build up their pain threshold. Its just like humans when their adrenaline starts pumping. I personally walked with a shattered vertibrae for almost a week and didnt even realise it until my body came out of shock and almost completely depleted my adrenaline reserves. I dislocated my elbow while kickboxing and didnt even know it until I tried to throw a punch and it popped back in.
There is nothing wrong with a dog that doesnt feel pain, as it actually makes it a better family dog. When is a dog likiely to bite a child? When the child jumps on it or yanks its tail or ear or something like that and hurt the dog. When you have a dog that has an extremely high pain threshold these things dont tend to bother them as much. My nephew grabbed my male by the balls and started squeezing as hard as he could and all my male did was sit down an let out one quick littel yelp, then he started licking my nephew and then tended to his jewels for 5 minutes. Could you imagine if he did that to a dog with a low pain tolerance? My nephew would be missing his arm and god knows what else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store