Experienced in Puffers and ich? Nothing's working and I need help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
As I'm sure you read, crushed coral is tough. It collects alot of waste, and has to be vacuumed every week with water changes. Do take the advice and add a powerhead. The out from your filter is good, but not near enough for a tank that size. Consider the puffers natural habitat and all the current running through it. The added flow will be very helpful in keeping all that shrimp dibris in your water column and out of that CC. Dead spots, areas lacking flow, are great areas to promote decay of uneaten food.
Also, let us know a little about your skimmer. It should be helping you, lets find out why not!

davina

Never too smart to learn more!
Jul 14, 2008
Orange County, CA
www.myspace.com
That is awesome information MonoSebaelover, and makes perfect sense!:clap:

It seems so simple, yet if no one tells you, it's hard to figure out and becomes a mystery. Chemistry and Biology weren't my best subjects. ;)

Ok, my tentative plan is to add only 2 fish at the most. I'd like to have a blue tang and a yellow tang (I think you can have those 2 together - and with a puffer?...being that tangs eat vegetation as well). If not, I'd substitute one of those for a Picasso trigger, or maybe a clown fish. This is a 60 gal tank....so I DON'T want to over-populate either.

The puffer seems so mellow, but you never know. If I got fish that were smaller than him, would he most likely eat them? I just need to have an idea because another LFS around here has baby sized blue tangs and picassos...and I mean like 1" long! I've never seen them that small. I really don't want to purchase them that small, but just want to know my options, because the smaller they are, the less waist they excrete; and maybe the greater chance I have at success by not over-stimulating the bio filter.

Ok, what's my next step? Should I go ahead and put the carbon filter back in and maybe stop the ich treatment in your opinion? I feel like I'm in limbo right now, and maybe unnecessarily treating the puffer. The spots very well could be debris, and I don't want to stress my baby more than I have to. :confused:

From there, how long should I wait until adding the next fish?

Thanks a million!
-D

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Tangs need 90g minimum each. Since your puffer will ourgrow this tank, I suggest no tank mates at all. I would definately remove all meds via carbon. Meds can do more harm than good to a puffer. There is an excellent article in the Library of the forum I linked you to on treating SW puffers with "ich".

davina

Jul 14, 2008
Orange County, CA
www.myspace.com
Hi BToast. I never heard that about crushed coral unfortunatly. However, I've never had fish last long enough to experience those downfalls as of yet.

The skimmer...i'm not sure the model. It used to work, but never actually collect foam in the cup. I seems to be running now, but the spring unit does not rise like it used to. I have a HUGE skimmer that my friend gave me, but i believe you have to use that externally with the r/o filter that I don't have.:huh:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
After live rock/sand, a good skimmer is the most important piece of equipment you need for a SW puffer tank. As you have seen, they produce a HUGE bioload & can poison themselves with their own waste.

davina

Jul 14, 2008
Orange County, CA
www.myspace.com
Here is the other one. I don't think it will work because I have a closed canopy that I built for the double sided tank. There is a hose connector at the bottom of it...is that for a power head?

It is Aquarium Systems brand. My friend gave it to me and that's all I know about it.

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
Availability: In Stock
3.28lbs will be added to FOB charges Aquarium Sys Seaclone Protein Skimmer 100 Gallon
Item Number: 710166

$116.41
$79.98

Average rating:

Product Description Customer Reviews (1) Tell A FriendAquarium Systems SeaClone Protein Skimmer is a superior turbo-venturi skimming system for efficient removal of dissolved organics and waste from aquariums up to 100 gallons in size. The exclusive turbo-venturi injector system mixes filtered water and air in the pump impeller chamber, generating a froth of foamy micro-bubbles for maximum skimming and improved gas exchange. Air and water swirl together in the vortex reaction chamber, creating a powerful tornado effect that rapidly draws dissolved wastes from aquarium water. Protein-laden bubbles are propelled upward, where they are trapped in a large capacity collection cup, which requires less emptying. Comes with a Maxi-Jet pump.
Ideal for external hang-on or in-sump installation. Hang-on installation will required 4" clearance between tank edge and wall. In-sump installation requires 20" clearance between bottom of sump and underside of aquarium base. Easy installation and operation. Comes with everything needed to set up and operate. No air stones are needed.
Size: 17 3/4" height x 3 1/2" diameter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store