Experiences with Firemouths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I would not put a texas cichlid or a green or red terror in with your firemouth. The tank you have is too small for these two species. A texas cichlid has the potential to get to 12 inches long and the green and red terrors are not far behind that. They need much bigger aquariums and will be too aggressive with a firemouth in such a confined space. However the severum might be a good choice.

Marinemom

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Marinemom said:
I would not put a texas cichlid or a green or red terror in with your firemouth. The tank you have is too small for these two species. A texas cichlid has the potential to get to 12 inches long and the green and red terrors are not far behind that. They need much bigger aquariums and will be too aggressive with a firemouth in such a confined space. However the severum might be a good choice.

Marinemom
thank you very much :) I will look into getting a severum.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
hakunamakarla said:
thank you very much :) I will look into getting a severum.
Ooh - my bad - I thought they stayed small too -

I would add to the firemouth tank pretty soon, before it considers the whole thing its turf. Also - I suggest making each additional fish at least as large, if not slightly larger than what's already in there. Sevrums are nice looking. I suspect your firemouth is a little too small to be certain about sexing...

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi,

I have a breeding pair in my 54 gallon tank. When its breeding time, they can be quite aggressive, but when its not, there quite peaceful for Cichlids. They get along great with my Cories, but my female Firemouth and my male Three-Spot Gourami constantley lip lock and fight (the Gourami usually wins) and on a occasion the male Firemoth will help her out in the fight.

Mine are about three and a half inches and have seemed to stop growing.

Overall I really like mine and they are sooooo pretty when breeding.

Cory Lover

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Sevs get too big. You have a 30" tank, I think? So firemouth plus a SMALL cichlid like a convict, sajica, nanoluteus, honduran red point. I'd suggest either the sajica or the honduran red point (and my preference would be the hrp).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store