Extensive African Dwarf Frog Article/FAQ

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I'm glad it could help, even a little:)

Sharkbait - I think I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately, I lost my favorite frog (the one in the pictures) awhile back - for no apparent reason. Ate well, perfect water, acted fine, was the biggest, oldest frog. One day, I noticed something was different when I found what I believe to be her shed skin hanging on the glosso carpet, intact. I found her and she was still shedding on her limbs and was floating near the surface. She died that night - it was all very sudden. The pgymy cories, shrimp, and other frogs in the tank were/are all okay, so I highly doubt it was water-related. Best I can think of is some sort of internal ailment:(

These frogs can live well past 10 years. Clawed frogs have supposedly reached 30 yrs old (so I've read)...

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Hey Leopardess,

I told you that I would tell you when I included your article on my website. Well... I have! If you'd like to go look and see how I have set up your article on my articles page, go to:

ADF Q&A Article

And to see the articles mainpage where all of my articles are located, and where I put the link for your article on, go to:

Care4Fish Articles Page

I hope it looks OK... let me know if I can do anything else or if that looks good as it is!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Hey! Thank you!! It looks perfect to me:) I'm glad you could use it!

It's funny that you add the second link...when I looked and saw the Q&A on carbon, I had to chuckle because I just linked that article on another forum a day or two ago:) Came in handy on the Carbon debate:D

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Good info! I will probaly be setting up an ADF tank when I move my newts into their newer (and larger) quarters. I lost one of my frogs yesterday (more likely than not from ammonia, because the filter had become blocked without my realizing it). Hey ADFs are cheap enough, I could probaly get four without breaking a sweat on my limited budget!

(I have seen my ADFs sit on the land portion of my setup before, and not when the water quality was questionable)

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
That is more odd than I can say. I have never seen any do that before. Their muscles are not made for land-use and really need the water to support their structure.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I now have 4 ADFs all in their own 10-gallon tank (which is filled with water and has no land area). I will admit that the thing about them sitting on land was strange: the first time one was parked on a moist spot on a rock, the second time two frogs were in a pile-up with the newts.

Jessclarke

Registered Member
May 30, 2004
Pregnant?

I believe that I "caught" 2 of my frogs in action. How would I know if she was pregnant? I haven't been able to find much on gestation time, incubation, etc. What should I expect? Do I remove the eggs if I can find them? Where will they be? I have 3 ADF's and they have been peacefully living together for over a year. This is the first time that I have ever noticed this. I also heard my boy frog "singing" the other day. Can someone tell me what to expect? Thanks.

Jess

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site

Jess- Just be on the look out for eggs. They may or may not be fertile, however.

Here is what to look for. These are hinterglem's photos from another site (they have a new "warning" label on them, I'm not sure how long they'll last...for whatever reason).

These are eggs, deposited on the glass of this guy's tank:

Supposedly, the all white eggs are usually not fertile, whereas ones that are white and brown are fertile. You'd remove them to another tank once you see them or the frogs/snails will eat them.

Check your PM's for more info. Too much to get into here:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store