Extreme Makeover: 55g Tank Edition

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fourtey54

AC Members
Dec 30, 2006
I just bought an All Glass from Petsmart and it has a center brace, however the glass is thinner in the newer tanks so they have to have a center brace. You said yours was 10 years old 0_0, it should hold without a brace.

congrats on your "purchase"

hondaman

Quisiera ser un fish!
Dec 15, 2005
New Jersey
Did it cost much money to repair?
As I stated above the most i have spent on everything was...

(2) Tubes Aquarium Silicone: $15
(1) Small Can of RustOlLeum Black Glossy Paint: $7
(1) Quality 1" Paint Brush: $9
(1) Metal Sanding Bit: $5
(1) 4.5 Amp Black and Decker Drill Corded: $20 (Didn't want to kill my cordless)
(1) Pack Razor Blades: $2

TOTAL SPENT: $58

Suggestion: Glass centerbrace - just Si it in at both ends.
The glass is 1/2" thick. I don't think ill need a center brace but ill go to home depot and see what i can use to make one.

hondaman

Quisiera ser un fish!
Dec 15, 2005
New Jersey
Tank Setup...

Well I got home and checked my silicone job. All was good. So I put the tank on top of the stand in its "final" place and started filling to check for leaks and to test the equipment.

The tank is now about 60% cleaned on the ouside and full of water. I put a powerhead i had in there to create a current to help check for leaks.

I also connected the light strip, heater, and AquaClear Filter. Immediately I did not like the look of the heater (looks like a major fire hazard) so I tossed it. The light and filter worked perfectly.

As you can see i did put the glass "tops" on. I can't really see how anyone could use these to cover their tank. I must have dropped them into the tank about 3 times.

So I decided the glass "tops" must go and I will buy some new hoods. I also decided i will paint the tank black. It just does not look good with my living room setup in brown.

Oh btw. After checking last night and this morning. No leaks!

NEXT POSTING WILL BE THIS WEEKEND WHEN I PAINT THE TANK BLACK!

hondaman

Quisiera ser un fish!
Dec 15, 2005
New Jersey
Well after talking it over with my better (more reasonable) half we decided not to paint. So what did we do? Move it to the dining room so it would match better.

It looks great!

I still will get black hoods and lights but the painting is x'ed.

I'll post a pic when i get a chance.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Great job honda man! I'm anxious to see what your setup will look like complete.

As for that filter, it looks like an aquaclear 110 (formerly AC500) and it's easy to find parts for those filters. They're great for those who like to customize what's in them too, but I only keep 2 sponges in them, and hope to get an eheim soon which will keep mainly bio media in it.

I would suggest you do something similar with your 55g so that you can avoid using a sump, and still get excellent water quality.

I'm surprised the silicone is doing okay after only 24 hrs curing time... I thought it needs 5 days? My only experience with using the stuff is when I made a DIY CO2.

Again, great job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store