Fancies in the pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
When the water gets a bit over 60* would it be safe to move fancies outdoors? I know it is okay with fantails, my girl stayed out until the water was too cold.
At the moment I have 3 Ryukins, 2 fantails, & an oranda mix.
I'm not worried about predators or the other fish out-competing for food, the fan tails I had last year were bold and got more food than the koi/shubunkin/comets. Plus I hand feed to make sure that my special needs boy gets enough.
My concerns were can the ryukins and oranda mix handle the warmer temperature? I've seen the pond go over 80* near the surface and 78* around the bottom. That is with about 8 hours of light ad 1/4 in shade, I will be covering half of the pond with a shelter to keep it cooler this year.
I'm not too worried about predators simply because birds cannot get in, and I'd feel bad for any raccoon who did no smell the four-legged security systems.
And I do believe a Raccoon would have a hard time getting around my fishing line death trap meant to keep birds out.

Any other problems I could have?
I know being outdoors was better for my Fantail, her colors got darker, and she was huge compared to her brother. Same with the bettas I put out one time, they actually bred, and the males stayed in their owner territories.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
60+ is fine, just make sure to match the temperature from tank to pond. Summer temps are fine for them to. Just dont let the temps get to high. Some floating plants can help keep water cooler during the summer. Hornwort, water lettuce etc.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
My fancies loved being outside. I did notice that when it was hot outside they tended to stay closer to the bottom of the pond. They were happy fishies.

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
Maybe I'll look into setting up a half wine barrel pond. I have one that would probably hold 60 gallons, I'd just need to find a liner and pump, put it in a mostly shady spot. I could put two of my guys out for a month or so, then the others. It would be like summer camp for them.

MadHatter

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
if you plan on moving them back in next winter be prepaired for eggs. moving them inside in fall usualy makes them breed because the warmer water temp. other than that it should be fine

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
Maybe I'll look into setting up a half wine barrel pond. I have one that would probably hold 60 gallons, I'd just need to find a liner and pump, put it in a mostly shady spot. I could put two of my guys out for a month or so, then the others. It would be like summer camp for them.
If you want to get cheap you could buy a thick clear shower curtain that isnt treated to prevent mold/mildew. Or if even cheaper the thick plastic tarps painters use. I used those back in highschool and never had a problem with them, you just have to make sure 100% that nothing inside or under will cause holes.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I agree with all the above posts - spending time outdoors in a pond can definitely promote good health and as long as the water is above 60, you shouldn't have any problems. Be sure to check the nighttime temps at all levels of water in the pond before moving and ensure they're above 60 at all times.
Remember that with colder water they will need less food, so cut back on the feeding when you move them and increase slowly as the water warms up into summer. With floating plants, they will have a place to escape the heat and sunlight.

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
What about a galvanized metal stock tank? Does that make a good above ground pond alternative? If I got one that is 100-150 gallons, I could put all of them out at once.

Then the question becomes how to keep my biofilter alive-can you transfer bioballs or Rena sponges to an outside filter... or can I even run my Renas outdoors-where they'd be subject to rain unless I covered them...

And finally, what about mosquito abatement? The city sprays Malathion in the summer, every wednesday about midnight. Would a tarp lying loosely over the tank/pond/barrel be a good idea or unnecessary? I plan to request they not spray since I don't want it in my garden, but I don't think they're all that good at remembering, and the mist drifts anyway and the site where'd I put the fish has to be near the property line in order to get shade.

thanks,
Ellen

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Instead of using floating plants (well, many of them at least) this year, we've decided to build a trellis over half of the pond with thick morning glories, or some other fast-growing vine.
It will provide dappled shade, and won't block my view of the fish, and since they won't see the birds flying above they shouldn't have any reason to be unhappy.
They will still have a couple hyacinths to breed in, but not the usual 100+.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store