Farlowella acus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have to confess I did nothing. They spawn on their own. The eggs take about 7 days to hatch. Unlike many other egg layers, there are no wigglers involved. The fry develop totally inside the egg and then hatch out ready to go.

The dad fans and mouths the eggs to keep them from getting fungus and will remove any not viable. I have seen a single spawn all hatch out inside a few hours and have also seen a spawn hatch out gradually over two days.

I find the fry are fairly difficult to raise, but this may have been compounded by my lack of free tank space to set up a special tank for them. The fry will eat the same food as adults. Here is a pic of fry in a breeder trap with a piece of a Hikari algae wafer-

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
Super fish TTA!

cheeseb0y

AC Members
Jan 29, 2005
I have a Farlowella Acus and a Farlowella Gracilis. The most obvious difference between the two is the tail fin. This website explains it better than I can:
http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/farlowella_acus.htm

They are two of my favorite fish. Since they think they look like sticks, they assume they're hidden at all times, so they're almost always visible. And when they aren't visible, they're near impossible to find. I have seen one of my Amano Shrimp climb on the Acus, and try to pick algae off of it.

Mine are currently being kept at 79 degrees Fahrenheit, and in the same tank as: female bettas, rummynose tetras, an opaline gourami, 3 small plecos (L030, L134, L260), a Siamese Algae Eater, and some other stuff.

cheeseb0y

AC Members
Jan 29, 2005
Here's a pic of both my Farlowellas, Gracilis on the left, Acus on the right. You can also see a Siamese Algae Eater, an Opaline Gourami, and a Peppermint pleco (L030).

farlowellasedit.JPG

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
I have kept lots of these guys!! They are so peacuful I kept them with Neons and barbs!!!!! I got them to grow to 10'' which is not common!!!! They are cool little fish!! I had them for 2 years!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store