Fastlight81's 37g planted journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fastlight81

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Believe me planted tanks take patience I have 4 NPT. You're off to a great start. What kind of look are you going for ie: more formal, natural, abstract...., Look at some pic of others planted tanks and pick 3 you really like. Do you like the plants or the structure of the planting? What besides plants do they have in the tank? What is the main thing your eye focuses on is it a plant, object or planting design? .The tank has to please only you so find out through other and create your own beautiful planted tank. I must say for just starting in planted tanks you're doing great work.
I like the way a tank flows and all runs together. I would have to say i like the structure more than the plants....lol I have looked at many tanks. I love so many of them. Like I said I have a lot of learning to do. It probably is a good thing I dont have more money other wise Id be constantly buying stuff and changeing things because I have yet to find one thing that really makes sense....if that makes sense. I really like what is going on with the flow of my latest scape. I just need to figure out something on the left side...
Thanks for the help! :thm:

daniel89

AC Members
Dec 16, 2009
micro swords, bronze crypts, banana plant, moss ball, or my favorite wisteria :) I would suggest water spirit but you have to trim it so much it i literally throws tons of it away weekly...

Also do you ever plan to put fish in it???

fastlight81

AC Members
May 22, 2010
micro swords, bronze crypts, banana plant, moss ball, or my favorite wisteria :) I would suggest water spirit but you have to trim it so much it i literally throws tons of it away weekly...

Also do you ever plan to put fish in it???
I have micro swords in it. look on the right. I like your suiggestions but I do not think it is what I am looking for. I want plants that will grow tall but not require trimming every 3 days...

As for fish...when I am ready..I want to be set on my aquascape first. Im thinking rummy nose tetras. and if you look I have two albino bn plecos in it. also have couple zebra nerite snails..and an assortment of shrimp in there.

daniel89

AC Members
Dec 16, 2009
wisteria grows tall and doesnt require you to trim it every 3 days i bought a piece and it took 5 months before i needed to trim it lol but it did grow straight up to the water and when it did that it started to send sprouts out with were about 8 inchs long when i trimmed them

fastlight81

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Still haven't given up on the whole planted tank. I did do a 50% water change and trimmed down my micro sword again. The BBA is really grabbing a hold since I still dont have my pressurized co2 system and I took out a lot of plants. Well I have been thinking about what I wanted to do and I have someone on APC that is going to send me a bunch of unique plants. This should really spark my interest again, since the last plants were just put in tank watch grow...Some of the new plants I am getting will certainly require more diligence. Here is what I am getting.

5 Hygrophila sp. Tiger
1 Hyptis Lorentziana
5 Limnophila mini 'Vietnam'
5 Lindernia sp. 'India'
2 Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
3 Nesaea Triflora
4 Pogostemon Yatabeanus
6 Rotala H'Ra
4 Rotala Macrandra sp. Japan
4 Rotala Mexicana 'Goias'
5 Rotala Nanjenshan
5 Rotala mini Type 2
3 Staurogyne Bihar

Anyone have experiences with these plants? I know I need to get some Iron.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Seems like good plant choices too me but I think you might end up needgin a little bit more CO2 depending on what you have. EI fertilizing will also help you.

fastlight81

AC Members
May 22, 2010
I already ei dose and trust me I cant wait to get my co2 system. Lol maybe I should quit buying plants and get the system first! haha well either way plants will be coming this week. And my other plants pearled like mad with my diy co2. I figure I only get the bba cause of my unstable co2. Im thinking of getting another 2liter bottle and have them daisy chained and filled on off days so there is always a constant supply....

fastlight81

AC Members
May 22, 2010
amazing tank! Can't wait to see some more fishys!
Thanks! Glad you think so. I forgot to mention I added 2 panda cories my daughters got for me for my birthday! :dance: I think ill get 3 or 4 more. Really like em. When I post pictures tomorrow Ill have to take some with them in it. Im not really sure yet what fish I want in there. Leaning heavily towards rummynose tetras. Also leaning heavily to a 90gallon planted discus:devil:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store