favorite algae eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

what is your favorite algae eater

• pleco

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • otto

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • snail

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • other

Votes: 44 22.8%

• Total voters

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
i love plecos.. and its sad that i cant house em....

hey do clown loaches count as bottom feeders? i like em too :cool:

CJC

AC Members
Apr 14, 2006
USA southern half
www.myspace.com
I have to go with Bristlenoses! They definetly keep my tank cleaner than anything else I have ever had by far! Well, that and they are so cute...in a gargoyle looking sense.
Charity

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
CJC said:
I have to go with Bristlenoses! They definetly keep my tank cleaner than anything else I have ever had by far! Well, that and they are so cute...in a gargoyle looking sense.
Charity
Did you see my avatar? That was my bristlenose till he died 3 weeks ago. :(

GUYZY

FISH KING (well . . . kind of)
May 29, 2006
England
Isn't it true that simease algae eaters only eat algae when they are baby/youth and then after that they become a bit aggressive and demand other foods

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
jasonskillz said:
n wtf is an otto :huh: :huh: :huh:
i search it n nothing show :read: :huh:
Otocinclus affinis.

I voted for these as I've got five of them. They school around and do a nice job w/ algae.

I'd love to try a true SAE if I could ever find one in my locale. They're legendary.
GUYZY said:
Isn't it true that simease algae eaters only eat algae when they are baby/youth and then after that they become a bit aggressive and demand other foods
That would be the Chinese algae eater (CAE) that would be guilty of that behavior. True SAE never stop their dutiful eating of algae.

Here's a good link to tell the difference between these.

Algae Eaters

I accidentally bought some young False Siamensis (they look like true SAE, but have some vital, easily noticeable physical differences), and they are not so good at eating algae as a true SAE or the otocinclus catfish.

v/r, N-A

Last edited:

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
GUYZY said:
No, that would be Chinese AE's, who will eat your fish, too. (And yes, they get MORE aggressive and eat LESS algae--I wouldn't advise them from personal experience). Research to make sure you know what they look like before you go looking for a Siamese.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
star_rider said:
I chose 'other' primarily because I like the bristlenosed catfish aka bushynosed ..generally considered a pleco(but in actuality it is a catfish)
Question: how would a bristlenose fare in a Lake Malawi-geared tank with Yellow Labs and Cobalt Blues? It's freshwater, I know, and the Mbuna need a higher ph (crushed coral in mine) and Rift Lake Salts (more minerals than actual salt)? I'm intrigued by all the good comments about them, but am not personally familiar with them (not really found in my region). Thanks!! :D

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I would have to go with snails...They have such cute faces! If taken care of properly they are very active. I have 3 different colors in my 10g. An ivory, a blue and a yellow. So many colors to choose from as well as shell shapes. You just can't lose with snails...unless you don't like babies..but who doesnt like babies :D

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Rosita,
generally the BN is in water in the pH range of 5.5-7.8
but they have been acclimated to higher pH.

I am not sure how well accepted they are with those tank mates..but they seem to get along with semi-agressive fish well and can tolerate breeding angels..which may not be as agressive as many cichlids but they are mean when they are spawning..and it's more than posturing..angels have been known to kill other fish..I know from personal experience that most other fish are not safe in a tank with breeding angels. especially other angels.

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
How about ottos in that same environment?? I also don't use rift salts or coral, would that make a difference?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store