feather duster crawling out of its tube?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Does it still have its crown, or did it shed that off so it looks like a normal worm?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Did yours just shed its crown as well?

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
You need to sort the calcium and alk out. That could be the main part of the problem. Make sure you don't raise the calcium too quickly while the alk is still high or you could end up with a precipitous event.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Updates.. How's the duster doing?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Well, I'm not optimistic, I think its dead. I saw the hermit crabs kind of huddled around the end of the tube last night. The "head" part where the feathers attach is lying in the sand a few inches from the end of the tube. I'm not sure if when they shed the crown if the whole part comes off, or if its just the feathery parts. So, its either headless and featherless and hiding in the tank someplace, or its dead and hte hermits ate most of it last night.

bdavis27701

AC Members
Sep 28, 2006
N.E. Ohio
Does it still have its crown, or did it shed that off so it looks like a normal worm?
It kept its crown. The one there has a green body to it. Its really weird to see them out of the tube.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well, I'm not optimistic, I think its dead. I saw the hermit crabs kind of huddled around the end of the tube last night. The "head" part where the feathers attach is lying in the sand a few inches from the end of the tube. I'm not sure if when they shed the crown if the whole part comes off, or if its just the feathery parts. So, its either headless and featherless and hiding in the tank someplace, or its dead and hte hermits ate most of it last night.
When I found my crowns they were in one piece but it was just the crown.. Not part of the worm. It does sound like it may have passed. One way to check though is if you pull up the tube out of the sand and squeeze oh so slightly you should feel the worm move.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Well its gone, but I don't feel too bad about it...I went back to the store yesterday (a week or so after buying mine initially) and the rest of the dusters in the tank were also dead. Its unfortunate but it makes me think it was less of my fault than I thought. Its too bad, because it looked really good for about 3 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store