feather duster lost its head?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VickyH

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Medway, Kent
I have (or had) a small green feather duster in my nano, yesterday i noticed something stuck to my powerhead and it appeared to be the 'head' of the duster. I've not seen it come out since, why has this happened and does it mean the duster is dead? Could something have killed it? The only things I've added lately are a firefish and a peppermint shrimp.

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
feather dusters usually lose their heads due to either stress or starvation......have you seen anything bothering it and do you feed it occaisionally?

andy1130

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
Boston
Ive several reports of peppermint shrimp nibbling on feather dusters, my guess is thats why he popped his top. You will need to move one of them if you want him to live

VickyH

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Medway, Kent
I don't target feed it but I feed fish etc in tank with a variety of foods including flake, ocean formula 2 and frozen mysis and krill. Been watching tank closely lately as I added a new coral too but not seen pep shrimp anywhere near feather duster. Would bristleworm pester it? I noticed one poking it's head out from rockwork yesterday.

andy1130

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
Boston
No bristleworm probably is the culprit here, I would be willing to bet its the shrimp. Any other crabs or fish in the tank?

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
My feather duster is in exactly the same position. I did see my Tang go for it a couple of times as it had some algae on its tube. My clown fish also decided to sweep the sand with her tail as she does which battered my duster. I've now moved it and it's just started getting a little tiny crown. Mine is green as well. Just give it time to see if it grows a new one. The last time it happened to mine it took about 2 weeks to fully recover.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I had a Yellow Tang decide to eat my dusters or at least picked at them both until they shedded their heads. They will grow back but it is going to take TIME. I don't remember how longs its been, but its been at least two months and they are just getting close to the way they were.

And like vcyr said you can target feed your duster, in fact you should. But remember to expell the product from something like a turkey baster etc underneath the crown so it drifts up.. Don't blow it down on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store