feeder fish confusion.... Please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Lazersniper,
I understand your frustration, I don't know how effective it really is, (It is just something I surmise might help) but I usually always fed my guppies all of the flake food I could get them to eat right before I put them in the tank. Just put them in a small holding tank Quart jar will work, and then fed them some high nutrition flake food untill they are pretty fat (distended). Most guppies will eat untill they are very bloated if you let them. All of the fish I kept eat them whole so they ingest anything the feeders have in their stomach as well as the feeder itself. I usually netted them out of the holding tank so there wasn't any worry about the excess food ending up in the bottom of a tank. I really don't know how much nutrition this adds, but it will surely help some.

You may also want to shop at the bait store rather than the LFS. You can buy reasonably small quantities of redworms, meal worms, wax worms, and sometimes grubs or may fly larvea (wigglers) many of these items are seasonal, but Wisconsin is a great state for fishing, and ice fishing is a popular time for a lot of these worms. I wouldn't reccomend trying to use freeze dried worms, only live ones. wash them well and see how your fish likes them. mix them up once you find out what he likes. Another option may be live brine shrimp, but it is my understanding that it takes a while to raise them big enough to be worth the trouble.

DHR

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
New York
Visit site
I have a couple of longnose gars (juveniles), and they like mealworms, crickets, roaches, occasional feeders. They also like freeze-dried plankton. Your filter or powerhead should move the water around a bit so there'll be some movement of the plankton. Bait shop is an excellent suggestion. Main prob with feeders is possible disease, just as when adding any new fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store