feeding baby pleco's ? calling all bottom feeder lovers!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
it takes time till they get their first bite, but once they do get that first bite you wont be able to get them off of it
I shut the light off the tank, and the pleco is all over it. he is laying across the slice LOL! I am so happy, Its the little things that make my day :) thank for your help I appreciate it so much!

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I nuked mine to for a few seconds. it then went right to the bottom of the tank. so nuking it just a few seconds makes it great with out a clip which scared the heck out of my fish.
I will do more pics tomorrow with a better camera.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i use blanching more to kill any fungus on the veggie, rather than to make it soft.

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Do you feed them veggies daily or what? also will it hurt fish to feed them veggies all the time to? my parrot and my sevrum fell in love with the zuccini, and I have never seen my big fish poop, ( no seriously) but man did they do it largely today!! veggies must move them lol~!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Do you feed them veggies daily or what? also will it hurt fish to feed them veggies all the time to? my parrot and my sevrum fell in love with the zuccini, and I have never seen my big fish poop, ( no seriously) but man did they do it largely today!! veggies must move them lol~!
did you do any research on the fish you have? severums are omnivorous with a well known bias towards plants and vegetable matter. i just did a quick google search for 'severum', and of the first 7 sites that popped up, six of them clearly stated that you should feed plant material/that they are mainly vegetarian. further searches would show that it is tricky to keep them in a planted tank due to them constantly eating the plants - a common complaint. blood parrots, having severum genes in them, show some of the same behaviors.

whether or not you feed vegetables daily depends upon how often you want to do water changes.

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
did you do any research on the fish you have? severums are omnivorous with a well known bias towards plants and vegetable matter. i just did a quick google search for 'severum', and of the first 7 sites that popped up, six of them clearly stated that you should feed plant material/that they are mainly vegetarian. further searches would show that it is tricky to keep them in a planted tank due to them constantly eating the plants - a common complaint. blood parrots, having severum genes in them, show some of the same behaviors.

whether or not you feed vegetables daily depends upon how often you want to do water changes.
thank you, yes I took the time last night to do so. See being a newbie this last year I like many others buy fish, and buy fish foods thinking th fish will love it. I have sold a large portion of the foods I had purchased since I learned what they do and do not like. last month I sold a giant box of foods to someone on here . My fish are in excellent health " knocks on wood" never lost any except one I think died from the fish having him for a snack. I have learned a lot from here, and from very nice people being patient enought to be gracious and kind and tell me what needs to be done. I learned to not feed to much brine shrimp or blood worms, that fish love variety, now that my fish loves veggies. though I did try when I first got them they did not touch it I am thrilled they love it now! Water changes do not bother me, heck I do it at random and check all the time how my tanks are doing. I have run into agression with growth, I have learned many lessons, and I can tell you this, Most everyone here has made this hobby a fun, learning experience with much kindness and patience for this old lady. With out there help, I would not have made it this far with the very healthy fish I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store