Feeding Brine Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I'm really trying to liven up my feeding routine. I was thinking about adding live Brine Shrimp to the list, as I have heard live foods are like crack for fish (in other words, they like it alot). I have seen the little hatcheries they sell online. I guess I'd like to know...are those things worth the investment, what is a good one, are they easy enough to hatch, and is this a good addition to my fishy diet?

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
You really do not need to buy any fancy hatcheries to hatch BBS. Purchase the San Francisco Bay Brand Sallys Hatch Mix of Brine Shrimp Eggs and Salt. Add water and put it in a container and in a day to a few days they hatch. Get a medicine dropper to suck up the BBS. Also BBS are attractive to light so point a lamp source to a point of the container and the BBS will swim to it than you can suck up tons of em at a time.

Also you can always buy the brine shrimp vial itself which is just the eggs. But this is a bit more trouble, you have to add salt(I use table salt).

BBS are good treats as well as a factor if you want your fish to spawn and are small enough to feed to fry.

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
bbs

You certainly do need to have an airstone in you hatchery. You can make one by cutting two two liter soda bottles. Check out the diy section on baby brine shrimp hatcheries. I have several going at one time and you have to have a airstone to achieve good hatch rates.

abovethestorm

AC Members
Aug 20, 2008
I made one exactly like this video and it works perfectly for me. I have been running it for about 5 months or so now. It costs about $2 to make. I have a really good hatch rate as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNkHPuGaqo

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
You certainly do need to have an airstone in you hatchery. You can make one by cutting two two liter soda bottles. Check out the diy section on baby brine shrimp hatcheries. I have several going at one time and you have to have a airstone to achieve good hatch rates.
You are going to critical about it.

Buy the premix, add water, wait a day or two. And good hatch rates? Buy the hexagon tanks that are sold for bettas, add a packet of brine shrimp and that thing will be swarmed in BBS.

Airstones are not needed, swish the eggs around and they will sink eventually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store