Feeding question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piye

AC Members
Jun 9, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
Hello:

1 month fishkeeper/newbie here...I was curious. When I feed my fish, my goldfish want to eat all the time...but it's hard to get my cichlid to eat because he's guarding his rock...any advice?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Goldfish and cichlid in the same tank? What kind of cichlid? Tank size/water parameters?

Goldfish and all the types of cichlid I am remotely familiar with are not a good combination. They prefer vastly different foods, pH and temperatures. Common goldfish will outgrow most tanks, as will many kinds of cichlids. The cichlid may not be comfortable coming out to feed, and the goldfish may be harrassing it.

grace

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. :confused:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt in that they are in separate tanks, you could try target feeding the cichlid. Using a clear turkey baster or a pair of tweezers you could bring the food right to the fish.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Maybe some sinking food pellets dropped right next to the cave will allow him to eat when he is ready.

A healthy fish will not allow itself to starve. If there is food being given at regular intervals it will eat remnants from the bottom if need be. Are you sure your fish is not sick ?

In any case, I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of the statements here. Goldfish are coldwater fish with completely different requirements from cichlids, and you should consider doing research on each, and separating them in the near future. If your cichlid is living in incorrect living conditions and is not active, then it is probably under a significant amount of stress, leaving itself open to a host of stress-related diseases. The time to correct this is now, before you have to deal with it on a greater scale later.

Piye

AC Members
Jun 9, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
Thanks for your input. Like I said...I am a newbie at fishkeeping and I am going to get another tank for my cichlid. I believe it is a yellow lab. I'm not sure I got it at walmart. I really like cichlids and that's why I bought it. Any advice on what conditions for my cichlid? Thx a bundle.

--Piye--

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm not that familiar with cichlids, but if you post your question on the cichlid forum, I am sure people will be glad to help you out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store