Female Acei holding???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with Lab and Livebearer strip the females and place the fry in a smaller grow out tank and leave the female in the main tank.. Google stripping fry from fish and you should get some decent info..

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I know that in this case you really kinda have to strip the female, since there's no tank to put her in until she spits, but is that the only reason you would want to strip? I figured that it would be safer to just let the female do it in her own time. It seemed to work well for me. I guess it might just be that I don't know as much, but what's the reason behind this method?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Stripping fry can have its advantages and disadvantages.. The advantages are that you are removing all of her brood and most will survive, this also allows the female to start feeding again..

Disadvantages is that you may stress her and kill her if not stripped properly or injure her jaw, if you allow her to spit in the main tank most if not all fry will be eaten, if you pull her and remove her to a small setup she might eat her spawn due to hunger, a holding female in a small setup may be stressed to the point of death. Females holding eggs and or fry will not eat and will drop weight and strength so when she spits the males will harass her again and she may die..

Its your call whether to strip or not but be careful because its a delicate process..

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Well, I wasn't gonna strip but I would like to keep some fry since I only have 3 Aceis. My egg tumbler came in yesterday Yay didn't think it would come in time. Now.....How do I catch her????? I have been trying but don't want to stress her too much. She slips into the rocks everytime. She is due to spit around Dec 2. Noticed today that now I have a demasoni holding and the male is doing that dance with another female. Oh my gosh....gonna be fry everywhere. The azureus is due to spit around Dec. 9. Anyone got any ideas on how to catch the holding females without tearing my tank apart????

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
If you have a lot of rockwork you may need to pull it. My holding females tend to hang out in one area of the tank and I'm able to sneak a net in and quickly net them.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah i agree with Lab you will more than likely have to pull the rock to catch her, use a net or a two net process to catch her but make sure she didn't spit some of the eggs or fry out inside the net sometimes they do this..

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Well here is an update.....I woke today to fry in the tank. She spit early!!! Dec. 2 would have been two weeks. No yolk sacs on fry either. So I took down all rock work and tried to catch the Acei. No luck, so instead I was trying to catch fry out of the tank before they were eaten. I got only 17. She had a whole lot more than that though. I did catch the azureus that was holding and stripped her. I got 30 fry. Still have yolk sacs but seem to be doing ok in the egg tumbler. I still have 2 demasoni holding. Yeah they laid this weekend. But only have one egg tumbler and I don't want to mix them. The male is working on another female. Geesh, what a day!!! Not what I had planned. I get to do it all over again in about 2 weeks. Thank you to all that have helped. I was a little nervous about stripping, but it went ok. Next question....How long do I leave them in the egg tumbler??

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Until the egg sac is gone and they are free swimming or you can leave them in the tumbler for at least an extra week its your call.. Congrats on the fry and stripping i stripped a couple females yesterday..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store