Female betta..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
To my knowledge, they technically aren't "schoolers," but are "shoalers." They don't swim in a school, but like to be with others and *typically* do better.

Zebras are pretty nutso, but they really are happier with a school of 6+. I'm sure in that big 55 gallon, 2 more zebras wouldn't make a huge difference. Especially once you have more decor.

I love female betta's as well, so pretty! Low bio load too which is nice.

Good center piece fish for a 55 gallon in my opinion, would be gouramis (do either all females, a pair, or the 2f to 1m trio, easy to sex-males have more pointed fin tips) (Pearl-never had but here nothing but good things, Moonlight-most peaceful I've ever had not too mention beautiful, Blues, Golds, and Opaline-they can be pretty aggressive), angelfish (given how pairs can terrorize, a single would be nice and I've heard you can keep one singly no problems), and well that's all I can think of now.

Although, typically it's not recommended to keep betta's and gourami's together. I did it in a planted 55 gallon, (with like 10 or 15 female bettas, and 2 female gold gouramis, 3 blue gouramis- 2 female, 1 male) but only for a year, so not long enough for problems to develop. However, in a fairly large tank, I think it's do able. Especially with female bettas instead of males.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Stopped into Petsmart tonight for furry critter supplies..

UH-oh! Female bettas on sale for $0.99

3 of them came home with me. A purple/blue one, a white-red one and a white-orange.

I haven't had any drama at all between my red female betta and the little honey gourami. So far so good with 4 female bettas in there.

The only aggression I've seen currently in my 55 is when the large gold lyretail mollie chases the smaller black mollie.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Stopped into Petsmart tonight for furry critter supplies..

UH-oh! Female bettas on sale for $0.99

3 of them came home with me. A purple/blue one, a white-red one and a white-orange.

I haven't had any drama at all between my red female betta and the little honey gourami. So far so good with 4 female bettas in there.

The only aggression I've seen currently in my 55 is when the large gold lyretail mollie chases the smaller black mollie.
It'll be interesting to see how it works out, keep us updated. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'll try to get some pics. The darn platys and mollies swarm you right at the camera, FEED ME... FEED ME.

So far OK with the 4 female bettas in this community 55g. The (larger) female that's been in there for awhile is being territorial to the other 3, but they've all got places to get away from each other.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Here's the 4 girls, it's a good thing I don't get to Petsmart too often, because at $0.99/ea, I'd buy more of them.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just an update...

So far the 3 new female bettas have settled in nicely to their 55g habitat. They're a lot of fun to watch. Each has a little different personality and each of the 4 has kind of staked out an area they like in the tank. The one female that's been in the tank for weeks can be the most aggressive (she is the largest), but they all deal with each other without much drama. The little honey gourami is very mild mannered and has absolutely no issues with them. Just another fish to the gourami.

Here's my stocking list in the 55g:

4 zebra danios
2 mickey mouse platys
2 mollies
1 honey gourami
4 female bettas
3 siamese algae eaters
1 koi angel
2 mystery snails and some ghost shrimp.

aquaristashley

AC Members
May 11, 2013
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1368836056.463501.jpg
Not to hijack your thread, but I just got this CrownTail and was told its female... Why do I get a feeling it's male?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1368836056.463501.jpg

aquaristashley

AC Members
May 11, 2013
It is a male. Ugh. Took it back for a female like I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store