Filling my aquafuge.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
I just received my aquafuge 2 with skimmer today. I'm gunna be putting LR rubble and some mixed algae but what should i put on the floor.
Don't know if its a matter of prefference but should I put LS or mud???? thanx

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Depends what you algae you want to grow. If it gonna be Chaeto, go with ls. If you want halimeda etc, I'd go with the mud.

Matt.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
My halimedia does great in the sand, fyi.

My aquafuge has a 3/4 inch layer of sand on the bottom. I've thrown some rubble in here and there, some chaeto, my heater is in the input section, carbon bag goes in the output section, pods throughout. ;)

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
I've been leaning towards LS but was wondering if mud was any better. Think I'm gunna go with LS, LR rubble and cheato. Plus putting the heater inside also. Can't wait to get home and hook it up. Not sure how much sand it will hold but wanna do a 2 inch sand bed in the fuge. Also wondering how keeping the light in the fuge on at night will keep the ph from swinging. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
All the animals in your aquarium are respirating and therefore emitting CO2 which is acidic and so reduces pH. If you put your lights on overnight, the Chaeto will be photosynthesising and therefore will use excess carbon dioxide and give out Oxygen which helps to control the pH drop. I'm pretty sure this is why it works. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Matt.

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
What did you pay for the fuge and what are the dimensions? Im just wondering because I am currently making a DIY fuge that is 10long x 4wide x 8 tall. I dont really know where Im going to put the baffles yet but I have the box made. Im using the IPS number 3 acrylic glue. That stuff is amazing.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
What did you pay for the fuge and what are the dimensions? Im just wondering because I am currently making a DIY fuge that is 10long x 4wide x 8 tall. I dont really know where Im going to put the baffles yet but I have the box made. Im using the IPS number 3 acrylic glue. That stuff is amazing.
hey jag sup. I got this one from marinedepot. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~CR1727.html
I didn't have time to hook it up this weekend but as soon as I get in from work tomorrow the 1st thing I'm doing is get this bad boy in, no matter what. I think it will be a good addition to my tank and I'll have a place for the chaeto to grow, plus puttin LS and LR rubble. OH yeah my heater too. I got the flo light from when I 1st setup tank to use as fuge light so all should be good. You have a 10gal right? so you might want to go with this one. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~CR1721.html
Unless you DIY. If you DIY post some picks for us to see.

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Ya I did a DIY fuge. It should be done by Tuesday. I had water in it today for about an hour doing a test and it held fine but I am kinda worried about the water exit getting clogged and the thing overflowing so I added one more emergency exit point. And I added some silicon around the water entrance and exit for more security. Should be dry tomorrow evening maybe sooner. I put it on pretty thick so it will take some time. Mine is 10L x 4w x 8t. Its not a thing of beauty but it will get the job done and for not even half the cost of the cheap one you posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store