Filter Flow Control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ha! Nice product name you have come up with there :) Thanks for the compliments! I may do it to all of my HOBs but with screen only to lower the amount of surface agitation since all of my tanks are heavily planted. I don't want to lose all that valuable natural CO2 since they are low tech tanks without supplementation.

The 7th grade science teacher at the K-12 beside my business has some fancy probes to measure dissolved oxygen content, CO2, etc. I'd like to borrow. I am donating fish and plants to her class for an experiment regarding oxygen content of water in relation to plant density in fish tanks. Maybe I can also do a test regarding surface agitation and O2 + CO2 content using her equipment. It'd have to be on a tank first with the screen for say a week and then without for the same amount of time (or vice versa). Any thoughts on duration of the experiment times that would render the most correct results?
I would say to get the best results it would have to longer than a week. Probably a month and test every week to see the amounts then average it out. That way you would have more data to use compared to a weeks worth of data.

I do like the screen. If you can do the test and see which is better, id love to see one of these ZN screen-o-matics in my tanks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i agree that the experiment would probably take at least a month between changes to get stable and measurable data

i also suggest that you have 2 tanks as identical as possible and then move the plants back and forth between them every month. (try not to move any babies/eggs with them.) over the course of a school year you should see a sort of square wave pattern in the (weekly?) readings of what you are measuring.

snails in the tanks would probably confuse the readings; just don't over-feed the fish

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Well nevermind all that! I don't have a lab test setup. (No disrespect to your ideas at all.) I would think however that it wouldn't take long to see if it makes a difference or not. Maybe not even more than 24 hours because the gas exchange takes place all the time.

Day 1 - no filter on
Day 2 - filter without screen
Day 3 - filter with screen

Just to be sure there are no flukes do it all over again twice more for a total of 3 days each scenario.

The reason I think this would work is that I know CO2 builds up in the water when the lights are out because the plants aren't able to photosynthesize in the dark. That's why I turn my lights out for 4 hours in the middle of each day. It gives the plants a break and allows CO2 to build back up from a depleted state mid-day. It's low tech faux CO2 injection.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
If the kids are testing every day it will be obvious when the readings become stable. Two experiments in one. Please let us know how long it takes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store