filter problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aclarino

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
I have a 30 long aquarium. I got this tank off craigslist and it came with a broken Tetra EX70. The main tube was broken but I fixed it with some aquarium silicone. This morning the tube broke again but now its unfixable. I have an old aqueon 20 or 30 on it right now, but the impeller is busted on it and it stops periodically (Another Craigslist investment lol). The only fish in the tank is a GSP. I cant decide, I am thinking in investing in either a Aquaclear 50 or 70 or a Penguin 350B. Any suggestions?

botia

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
Connecticut
i use a couple 350s and have never had a huge problem with them never used any aquaclears though they seem to be pretty popular on this forum you can find the penguins alot cheaper online, rather than buying them in a local store i think they are about 38-39 @ foster and smith

Kmodd

AC Members
Jul 2, 2011
Hello. I would suggest going with a canister filter. I also have a 30 gallon and i have a marine land c-160 and i love it. Well worth the investment if you ask me, so easy to clean and maintain, plus you have literally no noise. They have some on ebay for pretty cheap or you can get one at you're LFS for around 110$ Also Eheim canisters are really good i have never had one but maybe in the future for another tank. Good luck with the choice. :eek:

[/IMG]

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Pretty happy with my aquaclear. I was pleased with my Penguin in the past, but the AC 70 is a whole different animal. Just put some purigen in last night, and I can already see a difference. Pulling the carbon out when I do my next water change, this weekend. Amazon has great prices on them. My AC 70 was $35.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Aquaclear, I would think that a 50 would be enough for a single GSP. The turnover would be about 6.5 times per hour. $9 more gets you a AC70 for a 10x/hour turnover, then give me your broken aqueon :)

aclarino

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
hahaha you are very clever. I offered it to you last night. Then what do you think I should do 50 or 70?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store