Filter questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Justin2017

AC Members
Jan 4, 2017
I have a question and I'm guessing it goes here. I just got a 75 gallon tank. 4 feet by18 inches by 18 inches. I also had a new pool pump by Intex. It does 1000 gph. Can I use it?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It depends on what you are setting up. I'm presuming you want that in a sump, since submersible pumps are generally not used inside the display tank. You would end up with turnover around 10-13 times an hour, since there will be a little loss depending on the head height. That's not a maelstrom, but will be more water movement than some fish appreciate. What were you planning to stock?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What are you going to use in terms of filtration media for this pump?

Justin2017

AC Members
Jan 4, 2017
To be 100% honest I'm going for a community tank of small docile fish. Neons, Dino, some sharks, glow fish, that kind of thing. And I was just going to hook it up as my main filter. Have it run from one side to the other basically. I built an undergravel system and I have one 170 gph power head running on that at the moment and I would like to get a second. My goal is to have crystal clear water all the time

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I appreciate you being honest.

I'm not following how the 1000gph pool filter fits in with a power head and UGF system, but I wouldn't use it on an UGF.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I appreciate you being honest.

I'm not following how the 1000gph pool filter fits in with a power head and UGF system, but I wouldn't use it on an UGF.

Justin2017

AC Members
Jan 4, 2017
Well at the moment I have it sucking one of my tubes to my under gravel. The power head is on another one.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm not sure how crystal clear you will get your water using an undergravel filter, as how useful it remains long-term will depend on your maintenance schedule, and how well you clean out the gravel. Clarity will also depend on the amount and type of substrate used.

My suggestion would be to ditch the pool pump, and use something designed for an indoor aquarium, with replaceable and changeable media. Trying to blaze a trail and do something from left field using unusual methods and equipment is probably left to the more experienced.

I'm not sure what sharks you consider adding, but some may not allow more than themselves to remain in the tank, so planning to have stock that will most likely get along will be best unless you have another tank set up to use for a plan B.

You may want to read about cycling too. before you think about getting any fish.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm personally biased towards canister filters.

I'd likely go with a sunsun 304B if I was on a budget, - as an example https://www.amazon.com/SunSun-China-HW-304B-External-Canister-Sterilizer/dp/B008986EQO

But you can always shop around and find something used, there's plenty out there, just be aware of prices for new if you buy something used.

I'm sure plenty of others will make suggestions too, sometimes your local PetSmart may have canister filters on clearance too.

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For sure the Sunsun 304B is a BIG canister for not a lot money. I'm a big fan of their canisters. I've had a 302 going strong for 4yrs on one of my 55g tanks. I just mail-ordered another 302 from eBay for $39 shipped.

Reactions: Phoenixjoni
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store