Filtration advise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
No bio-wheel filter if you want to go planted. Internals are too small an ineffective above a 10 gallon tank IME. Sponge filters do well as does most HOB filters. I have several AC's and have a ton of confidence in their ability to handle any size bio load I throw at them. I also have 2 Emperor 400's and their high quality of filtering surprised me. With the media containers in them plus the pads you can filter just about anything out of the water. I also have some Penguins that I life on my 10 and 20 gallon tanks. In my 5 and 10 gallon fry tanks I use just a simple corner filter. I have a H.O.T.Magnum on a 90 with an oscar and I find it also sucks up waste well.

I have almost 1 of every major brand and I find them all to be reliable. I just aim for a minimum of 6-10X and hour water turnover rate and then get a filter that will give me that. I go by GPH and not the mfg reccommendation. AquaClears are worth the $$$ if you can afford it.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
If money is an issue, I'd look into the Eheim classic series. I got a new eheim 2217 for about $125 online shipped. It also came with all the needed media. I have a 40 gallon breeder 36x18x16 and run the Eheim 2217 and 2 AC 50 HOBs my tank is crystal clear and not a single deadspot.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
If your gonna go canister, look at an XP2, you can get one for 105 at www.kensfish.com. Should prove enough for your tank.

BTW Choi, 180 GPH on a 40+ gallon tank is a little bit on the low side for my tastes. Some may think its enough but not many.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Personally my only experience with a cansiter is an older fluval 304 on my 29 gallon tank. It really did seem to be a pain to clean for me. After awhile the hoses would get gunk in them and be tricky to get cleared up. I now have 2 HOB's on my 29 gallon and like it a lot.

With a really long tank you may wish to look at getting a small powerhead on one end of the tank and the canister on the other end. Proper current will certainly help a lot. One canister could never provide decent current for me even on my smaller 29 gallon tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store