fin rot

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

canblue5

fish whisperer
LFS going out of business, picked up sweetdeal on pair of 7"
severums,10 bucks. fish look to have fin rot.have them in 30 gal
hospital tank treating them with a product called fungus cure.
fish seem to be doing well, question I have is does the raggedy
looking fins and tail grow back?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
From what I understand it depends on how much damage has been done to the spines on the fins. If the spines are damaged they don't grow back but if it is just the fleshy part then it can. In my parents tank the silver tips got some bad fin damage and theirs never grew back, though a year later they are still doing fine.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
No problem. I hope they grow back, though the tetras in my parents tanks are still the most active, even with limited fins.

Cloud-9

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Reidsville, GA
Visit site
Tail

The fins should "regenerate/regrow". Watch carefully and see if the medication is working. If not, remove all traces of the fungus cure and try something different., perhaps something that contains kanamycin.

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
I had a phantom tetra that got severe fin rot, nearly all fins rotted down to the base, I quickly put it in quarantine and administered Jungle fungus cure. After about 2 weeks I felt it was well enough to go back into the aquarium, and even finless it did just fine.

The fins did grow back, albeit pretty slowly, after maybe 2 months all were 100% except the tail, which to me still looks shorter than it was before (though not oddly shaped or ratty looking).

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
The fish should regrow their fins as long as they aren't rotted down to the muscle at the base. If the infection gets to the bone, they won't come back.

I have used Fungus Eliminator and other fungus fixes, which are a little harsh, but still mostly salt, honestly.

I agree that if the fins don't start looking better in a day or two, switch to an antibacterial or an antibiotic, as "fungus" is actually a bacterial infection similar to gangrene, if I have done my homework correctly... have I, fishy sages?

OK, let's back up. :)

Fin rot is not a fungal infection ... it is bacterial in nature ! Fungal and bacterial diseases are two separate entities. The reason why the fungal medication worked was because it might have wiped out a "secondary" fungal infection, but fungal medications are wholly rendered useless against bacterial illnesses.

You can cure fin rot either with a salt bath or an antibiotic medication that contains phenoxyethanol, but your course of action should also include correcting the condition that caused the infection to begin with, which is generally poor water conditions or secondarily by immunosuppression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store