Finally, Brichardi Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Friends, I just found that all the eggs from the nest are missing and only 2 or 3 of them are still there and even they've turned pure white... Have the eggs hatched or did somebody eat them ? Please advice as I'm really worried...

Kindly advice...

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Friends, all the eggs have now disappeared, but the parents are still guarding the nest...I'm really not sure whats happening...Please help me here... Pittbull please guide me here - need your help :(

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sorry buddy i was away i believe we are on total different times zones here.. two things may have happened one is that yep either the parents or someone robbed / ate the eggs..

Second thing could be that the eggs did hatch so maybe watch for tiny little fry near the substrate..

White eggs are usually a sign of not being fertilized or a egg that is green and turns white is fungus.. the parents need to fan the eggs to keep them from turning into fungus but as you said this is their first batch being young and immature they will go again just keep up the water changes and feed a good diet to help them out..

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Pittbull,

Thanks for guiding me again... I'm really seeing some strange happenings in my tank...lol..

The eggs have completely disappeared and the parents arent guarding the nest as fiercely as they were, when the eggs were present... I also see that they have invited / teamed up with 3 other brichardis and are almost always hanging out together as a shoal of 5 fish near the nest... They dont attack anybody and run away from the fronts as always... The parents still go inside the nest and stay there for sometime, but I have a feeling that this batch of eggs / babies are gone forever...

Anyways, I also found another spot / cave where a single brich was standing on guard. When I used the flash light to check the ceiling, I find 2 green eggs there - I guess the other were also eaten / destroyed. I'm guessing that 2 pairs have already spawned in my tank with no survivors yet. The strange thing is that only one brich is guarding the 2 eggs and the partner is nowhere near...

Anyways, as you've adviced, I guess my brichs are still too young and learning...

Thanks a lot for all the help, Pittbull - I'm truly grateful to you...
Regards
Kush

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
BTW is it ok to search the caves using a flash light ? I mean are the eggs / babies light sensitive and can it harm them ?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No worries me friend.. yep flash light searching is what i do as well and shouldn't pose an issue just be observant in their secrecy aye..

Give em some time and they should get it down soon..

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi friends !
I really dont think that the babies survived or if the eggs hatched... I find that the parents have completely left the nest and are allowing all the fish to go near or even inside the nest... but I have a feeling that this pair is again getting ready to spawn as they are again moving about the nest and seem to be cleaning it... Any ideas if Brichardis always lay eggs in the same spot or can they change the site at every spawn ?
Also are there any passive - less aggressive brichardi species available - if yes, can mine be those ? I'm asking this because my brichs seem to be totally peaceful and infact very afraid of other fish (the fronts)
I found that another pair had laid eggs in a nearby nest but that nest too is taken over by a small front (almost of the same size as the brichardi) and the parenst just ran away from the nest. I just found that all the eggs have again been eaten from there too...
Any ideas on this Friends ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store