Finnex planted+ 24/7 se

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I ordered this led fixture a couple days ago and should be here by the end of this week. Does anyone else have this light? Opinions on the 24/7 mode? How are your plants doing? The tank i am putting it over is a 50g (20" high). It's a low tech setup, non-Co2, moderate fert dosing. My previous light fixture was a coralife aqualight with 2x65w power compacts. It finally bit the dust on me and since i've been planning to upgrade to leds anyway, i decided on the latest Finnex. I also looked at Fluval's fixture but figured it probably was a bit much without co2 regardless of how nice it is. Very well made. Feel free to discuss whatever led fixture you may be running and why you chose it. Cost is obviously a factor.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have the previous version of the fixture.

I'd give it a fair review if it actually turned off completely during the 24/7 cycle... but it doesn't.

So I'll say it sucks!

I do like the feature, and the spectrum variations it produces through the cycle. but having it next to the bed and on constantly is a big no-no. eventually I will switch it for something else.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Fortunately, the newer model does have a 3-4 hr totally off period. If i use the the 24/7 mode, i'll probably have it about 3 hrs behind actual time as i prefer evening viewing. Currently my lights turn on at 2:30pm and off around midnight. I doubt i will ever use the thunderstorm mode. Lol

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The color changes are pretty awesome, as well as the intensity changes.

The thunderstorm was maybe used once to show children, and it runs 3 hours or so ahead of schedule to get the lights as low as possible when it's time to try to sleep.

I expect at some point I will put back a BML fixture on a timer, or maybe the Fluval with the external timer/controller.

At some point I do intend to make my own with a controller, or maybe have it controlled by a PC or something.. but time will tell about that.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Sounds cool. You'll need to make a thread about it if/when you decide to do it.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Once I get past my laziness...

I'll be sure to document it when I get around to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store