Firefish MIA

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Hey guys, I got a firefish yesterday, and unfortunately I was too lazy to acclimate it... I did a water change and dumped the firefish right in... It ate fine yesterday, no problems at all... All day today it was fine, swimming around and all. I went out for a drive, came back 3 hours later and I cant find it anymore...! I tried looking aroudn rocks, nothing, looked around my tank incase it was stressed and darted out, couldnt find anything... Im quite confused as to where it has gone! I doubt its dead as my water is in prestine condition (growing a bunch of stuff that requires perfect water cond.)

Any ideas as to where it could be??

michaeljr10wv

AC Members
Aug 12, 2008
West Virginia
They are good hiders. Mine did that at first then I bought another one and the two are always out. Give him\her a day or so and it will come out. Alone they will mostly hide

Michael

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
o interesting fact... ill wait for some more opinions and probably go grab another one at the LFS 2morow

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
It may have jumped, you'll be amazed where they can land.

It may be hiding.

It may have died from shock. Just because your parameters are OK doesn't mean that your LFS's are the same hence the importance of acclimation. If your LFS has high nitrAte levels for example and you don't, putting a fish straight in, in those conditions, can do as much harm as if it was the other way around.

JMO

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Yeh I understand that, and thats the part Im worried about :( I really cant find it INSIDE or OUTSDIE the tank.. If its dead Im hoping it jumped cuz then i wont need to look all over the tank for it (SUCH A HASSLE :() Ill give it another day and see if anything comes up...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I would give it a few days at least. Test for ammonia too, relying just on what the tank looks like is not a great indicator of water quality. My firefish jumped into the overflow, and it took me a while to catch it to put it back in the tank. After it went into the tank, it went into hiding for 3-4 days in the rockwork.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Ammonia is 0.. Im just waiting to see home somewhere soon... Thing is he was all over the place the first 24 hours i got him... then he just dissapeared...

dingraha

Fish Fondler
Aug 21, 2008
South Jersey
Are there any tankmates that could have gobbled him up?

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
nope there arent... hes back in action tho!! i found his head popping out of a hole i didnt even know existed in one of my rocks, the hole was probably as small as a pencil eraser (in diameter) and he was hiding IN it!! But yeh, now that i know hes SOMWHERE in the water, im not worried anymore... Just shocked by how well he was hiding!!

PS He came out when i dropped the Mysis in ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store