First Aquarium - Sensen 30 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WeeNe858

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
Goldfish get HUGE! They may seem small now...but can grow as big as a grapefruit

Also, the liquid test kit are more accurate, and they last longer then the test strips...
lol grape fruit. yeah your tank doesing seem to be cycled BUT if you test it and all the lvls are fine you can keep an eye on it and make sure you dont get a cycle going on you.

liquid test kist last about 50-100 test (kit varying)
dip strips 25-50-100 count

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Cool gift! really pretty tank. it
Do you happen to know if the storekeeper included some
filter media to "cycle" the tank? that is, provide some needed biological filtration to handle the ammonia from fish wastes.Please read the sticky on "cycling". There is a lot of info on the web about the nitrogen cycle in aquaria, you could google that .
I have found that the test strips were really inaccurate. since ammonia and nitrite in particular are very hard on fish in small amounts,they were so inacurate as to be nearly useless. The liquid ones (I use Aquarium Phamicuticals brand) are more expensive but do last a lot longer, especially since I can trust the results and don't end up double checking all the time.
As you will see, there are many varying oppinions on many things. For instance do GF need a heater. I agree with Wee nee that they prefer cooler temps. but they also like the temp to stay steady.

Inch /gallon is pretty bogus, if you can search the forums, or even just look at a few pages of headings in the newbie forum you will find a lot of info on it.

Goldfish in particular produce a Lot of waste for their size, which is one factor determining how many fish can "fit"
I sAid one or two, wee nee said 2 or 3, you could ask, "how many fancy GF in a 30 gallon" here or in the coldwater forum, and get more oppinions. you can also look at fish profiles on the web. there are some at this site and here is one:http://www.petresources.net/fish/cyprinid/car_aur.html.
It'salways a good idea to learn about any fish you want to keep.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store