First Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wetmanNY

AC Members
It's always interesting to me, to hear that someone begins by reading up on the subject.

I don't know whether you're in "hardwater" California or "softwater" California.If you're in "hardwater" California, you're wise to be avoiding Amazon basin fishes like tetras and Apistogramma.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
The WetFeller is an old Reader of the first order, and while he's very generous with his knowledge and experience, he's also a Skeptical Aquarist (go there now and bookmark it, trust me).

I googled www.ladwp.com/water/quality/Annual/AnnRep01/WQARCE-F2.pdf+water+report,+los+angeles&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]LA water[/URL] and it didn't seem that especially hard. pH mid 7s with a KH around 5 or 6 degrees (sentral and eastern LA). Good water to CO2 down into the 6s. And with that much light you'll definitely need CO2 and a survey of fertilization over in the Plant forum or you'll be very unhappy.

I also found a nice little write up on the sparkling gourami. The key bit: : "The Sparkling Gourami can be housed with a variety of tank mates that are of similar size and temperament. While males can be territorial with each other, they become timid around other, more aggressive fish." Personally, I'd favor these guys over the angels, but I like small and I like SE Asian. To each their own.

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Dave-- If you are doubling your light I think you would find down the way that you would be better off investing in CO2 injection rather than RO water. Check out the /stickies/ post in the plant forum for some info on fertilizers and look at the links plantbrain has listed also.

I have a 55 gallon high light tank that is almost a year old now. It's main inhabitants are two angels, 1 dwarf guarmie, 11 Cardinal Tetras, 5 Cherry Barbs, 6 cories, 2 otos(had more that died), 1 bristlenose pleco..

I live in a moderately hard water area. Aged out of the tap ph is about 7.6, gH 8, kH 10.. The plants certainly don't mind the hardish water... The cherry barbs spawn regularly to the delight of the angelfish. :D

My main problem with the tank has been the fight with algae. I attribute most of that to the fact that I use DIY CO2 rather than the more sophisticated injection of pressurized.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Very few read before they start out. I was lucky to have done so and you will find that you were, too!

Dave Cushing

AC Members
Jul 31, 2003
Lake Balboa, CA
Visit site
My main reason for using the RO is I already have it. A friend of mine gave it to me. I read a few articles that talked about the benefits of RO water. I understand that since all minerals are removed, that I will need to reconstitute the water with R/O Right or another similar product.

Chemistry has always been a hobby of mine. I feel that it is best to start with a known base and add what is necessary to reach the desired end point.

If I am way off base, tell me.

Red Sea's flora base advertises that no additional CO2 is required (I know, never believe marketing). They also recommend that it be replaced very year, well I know I am not going to do that.

Installing a pressurized CO2 injection is not out of the question. I tend to make sure about what I am doing before I do it. If a CO2 system is required, then so be it.

With that in mind, I did a little looking around. Has anybody really have good luck with a DIY system, or is it better just to go all out to begin with?

What is the forum consensus.

Dave

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Most Saltwater buffs would agree that stripping down water (via RO) and then reconstituting it to a known composition is a great way to keep the aquarium in balance. I've seen it done with FW as well, so I think that you'd be on the right track in filling your tank that way!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store