first fowlr setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Just to answer you questions..

1. You really need the live rock in the tank to get a good cycle IMO. Without putting the rock in now you run the risk of creating mini cycles as you add rock down the line which would only further delay adding fish.

2. IMO no need to switch out 100% of the water you made up with Tap, just gradually replace it with RO like you mentioned.

If you want criticism, I would say forget about even a dwarf lion in a 29G unless that is the only fish you plan on having. I admit, a Fu Manchu lion by itself would still be an interesting tank. They are a difficult lion though and not recommended as a beginner fish. For a beginner, it is very hard to have only 1 fish and be satisfied early on. I would look into more community fish than a predator fish for a 29G tank.

jbnebres

AC Members
Jul 25, 2008
Jersey
If you want criticism, I would say forget about even a dwarf lion in a 29G unless that is the only fish you plan on having. I admit, a Fu Manchu lion by itself would still be an interesting tank. They are a difficult lion though and not recommended as a beginner fish. For a beginner, it is very hard to have only 1 fish and be satisfied early on. I would look into more community fish than a predator fish for a 29G tank.

:thumbsup:
You just made the 29 gal with one lionfish sound beast. I'm definitely up to the challenge. Thanks for the feedback.

THE PLAN

I'll be lugging around some 5 gal water jugs for ro water tomorrow morn and I will probably pick up lr this friday :D

I've been fishkeeping for almost 10 years, only now am I curious enough to dabble in salt. Also, one specimen in a tank is fine with me. I have another empty 75 gal in the basement, if all goes well....

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
my lion was awesome. Id totally reccomend it if you are cool with the limited tank mates, they are absolutley beautiful and totally reef safe.
Fun to feed too.
BTW, common fail with lions is to feed goldfish. Don't do this. they serve very little nutritional value and have a better chance of passing disease. feed ghost shrimp and krill for light snacks and feed silversides for the main course.
It will most likley need to be trained onto non live foods, so its easiest to start with a live fish (any kind) and hold it by the tail in a pair of tongs. I use the silver lizard tongs, thin at the end but really sturdy.
let him eat the fish out of the tongs a few times, If he doesnt eat, don't release the fish just keep it alive and try again later. once he easts a few from the tongs then switch to a thawed out silverside and wiggle it around like its trying to swim away.
once you get him eating out of the tongs you are good to go.
Don't feed just krill as this will possibly give them lockjaw. I feed the gost shrimp for something fun and he enjoys live the best.
keep us posted with pics

jbnebres

AC Members
Jul 25, 2008
Jersey
Day 04 29G FOWLR: First visible inhabitant

keep us posted with pics

LR going in on Sat w/ base rock.

Got home and found this...

What is it?
Harmful or leave alone?
It sure looks like a snail but unsure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Looks like a cerith snail. Pics are kind of fuzzy though. Does it have a hard shell? If so its a cerith and is a good guy.

jbnebres

AC Members
Jul 25, 2008
Jersey
Day 05 29G FOWLR: Two hermit crabs and base rock

Yeah, sorry bout the pictures. I actually had a magnifying glass in front of a camera (it was that tiny).
Anyways whatever that creature is, it's chillin with a couple hermit crabs (i was eager to see something living in the tank :shakehead:)

What I did get to do today was a w/c, clean up most of the front and right window, and i found some of my base rock. It came from a previous clist used tank setup that was once a reef. Luckily, the owner wrapped up some of the dried lr. I've actually used it in freshwater for a while about a year ago, but was not happy with it then. I'm so glad I saved it. Now it looks fitting.

Its very airy and porous- so hopefully, it will get seeded well and throughout. Definitely the left over remains of some decent lr.

If you're near central jersey around the 20th - 21st, precious pets chain is having 25% off salt and 50% off fresh. I know I'll be going store hopping Then I'm gonna top it off with some lr from a local jersey hobbyist.

BTW no noticeable smell coming from the tank- considering my bed is 2 ft away from it. My readings are near identical. I'm curious if it's in cycle or yet to start. I skimmed a film of- i'm not exactly sure- during the water change but the water's pretty clear. Time will tell.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
If you're not sure if it has cycled or not pour some PURE ammonia in the tank. Let it sit for 24-48 hours and see what your readings are then. If the cycle has completed it should take care of the ammonia during that time. If it hasn't then you've started the cycle.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Umm no brown algae , green algae + some red slime, to clear phase yet?

the ammonia works...or simply buy a prawn ...stuff it in a mesh cooking bag thing *ask grocer* hand it in the tank and let it decay.

Or be cheap ...I tossed in fish food....anything to start decaying process.

Also note on the rocks: Did you ever treat your main FW tank with a copper based medicine? if so those rocks are now lethal to coral...so don't go coral with those.

jbnebres

AC Members
Jul 25, 2008
Jersey
Also note on the rocks: Did you ever treat your main FW tank with a copper based medicine? if so those rocks are now lethal to coral...so don't go coral with those.
My sevs had ick at one point but i never treated the tank with anything but dechlorinator/chloramine conditioner Phew.

I'm went with the ammo chips, will check up tomorrow.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
If you haven't yet, you might want to get a skimmer.
Some say they've run a tank without one, but I started without one and suddenly, for no apparent reason, my tank crashed -- everything died.
I got a skimmer, started over, and haven't had a fatality in about five years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store