First freshwater tank. Ideas, thoughts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
pomacea bridgesii ("mystery snails") do not eat healthy plants. They only eat decaying plant matter. They are easily fed with veggies to supplement their diet :)

Your stocking sounds nice, you mmight consider having only male guppies to get rid of teh overpopulation issues that arise with livebearers.

All my tanks with snails are heavily planted, so it should not be a problem

in the pines

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
just moved to Ruidoso, NM!
pomacea bridgesii ("mystery snails") do not eat healthy plants. They only eat decaying plant matter. They are easily fed with veggies to supplement their diet :)

Your stocking sounds nice, you mmight consider having only male guppies to get rid of teh overpopulation issues that arise with livebearers.

All my tanks with snails are heavily planted, so it should not be a problem
whoo hoo!

As far as I'm concerned my tank is stocked. All I need now are the actual fish when the cycling is done. I'll PM you when my tank is ready and see when you are shipping, is that ok?

Again, thanks so much for your ideas and help.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. I love this place.

one or two ivory apple snails
three+ leopard cories
school of neon tetras
school of guppies
pair of honey gouramis

too much? modifications?
How many of each species? You can still try kuhli loaches. Unlike other loaches, kuhlis do not eat snails and shrimps so you are pretty much fine with those. Keep 6-8 for a 30g along with 6-8 cories (avoid the bronchis).

in the pines

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
just moved to Ruidoso, NM!
How many of each species? You can still try kuhli loaches. Unlike other loaches, kuhlis do not eat snails and shrimps so you are pretty much fine with those. Keep 6-8 for a 30g along with 6-8 cories (avoid the bronchis).
I really would like the kuhli loaches in my tank. If they won't bother the snails, that is. I think they are fascinating. I guess it would be either the cories or the loaches, not both, bc I do want tetras and guppies. I think I'm at max capacity as it is. I don't know how many of the guppies or tetras; as much as I can fit in there without doing any harm to the community, I guess.

Are kuhlis active?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store