First larger sized tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

matt_zak

AC Members
May 23, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Thanks again Byron! You're full of great info! The Eheim Jager is what I planned on so I will get two of the 200w heaters. For plants I was going to go with the easiest for beginners lol. I also plan on finding a nice piece of driftwood and maybe a few stones. There's still some planning to do for sure. If I went with 12 cory's should I leave out the pleco?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Thanks again Byron! You're full of great info! The Eheim Jager is what I planned on so I will get two of the 200w heaters. For plants I was going to go with the easiest for beginners lol. I also plan on finding a nice piece of driftwood and maybe a few stones. There's still some planning to do for sure. If I went with 12 cory's should I leave out the pleco?
No reason to not have both; as you're looking at the smaller pleco species, they have no issues with corys. Do you want the pleco because you like the fish itself, or are you thinking of an algae eating pleco? I ask because fish acquired just to deal with algae is not usually a good idea.

The plants I mentioned previously are about as easy as any can be. A couple others that might be nice are Java Moss and perhaps Java Fern. Both attach to wood rather than being planted in the substrate, and being low light they will manage and provide some dark green closer to the substrate. Depends again on that light's intensity.

On the wood, several largish pieces can make the tank look more spacious, as opposed to one large piece. Finding branches is not as easy as chunks of bogwood. I like the very dark brown Malaysian Driftwood; it is less of a tannin issue, and it sinks immediately without having to be soaked until water logged. And for stones, the rounded "river rock" is ideal. You can get these from landscape places for very little; I got a pail of rocks for 75 cents. Different sizes, but similar type rock colouring, so it looks natural.

Byron.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The Eheim Jager is what I planned on so I will get two of the 200w heaters. For plants I was going to go with the easiest for beginners lol. I also plan on finding a nice piece of driftwood and maybe a few stones. There's still some planning to do for sure. If I went with 12 cory's should I leave out the pleco?
I just now realize that you are in Texas. So, if it does not get too cold in your area, I may just have 2 150W heaters. I may even try just 2 100W instead.
For easy plants--Nothing is easier then Java Fern/Sword. I have babies growing all the time. If needs, I can always send you some.

PS--The pleco is your option. You said "If I went with 12 cory's should I leave out the pleco? " Keep or leave out for your enjoyment, not because I "Need for over-feed control".

matt_zak

AC Members
May 23, 2014
Amarillo, TX
The filter, heaters and lights will be here on Tuesday. I was planning on getting it setup next weekend but we will see. My friend is going to help me build a canopy for the aquarium so we don't have to worry about either of our cats jumping into the water or breaking something. If we can't get it built during the week then we'll have to do it next weekend. Once it is done then I can start the scaping and planting so the water can get cycling.

I'm still undecided on the substrate. I know it is ok and cheaper to use play sand or pfs, but, I'm leaning towards the aquadurt black diamond or amazon and the seachem flourite onyx or black sand.

Driftwood has been picked out. I will be ordering it tonight. If I get some rocks should I soak them too? I was thinking about a piece or two of slate or sandstone. Is granite or marble ok?

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I've always liked my seachem flourite black. Looks nice, works well, and the plants seem to like it more than the rocks I once had. Best of luck and can't wait to see it setup!

Jake

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I'm still undecided on the substrate. I know it is ok and cheaper to use play sand or pfs, but, I'm leaning towards the aquadurt black diamond or amazon and the seachem flourite onyx or black sand.

Driftwood has been picked out. I will be ordering it tonight. If I get some rocks should I soak them too? I was thinking about a piece or two of slate or sandstone. Is granite or marble ok?
Marble will raise GH and pH slowly. Slate is fine, this can be useful to lay on/in the substrate to create flat open patches for effect. Granite should be fine unless it contains something else. Sandstone is soft and may dissolve apart, not certain, but I believe I have read this. Wash the rocks in hot (not boiing, just hot from the tap) water and scrub them with a clean brush. Rocks from fish stores will be expensive, I get my river rock from a quarry/landscape supplier, 75 cents for a pail. The rounded river rock pebbles in different sizes can be quite effective especially if creating a stream/river scape.

I tried black once and found that every little speck of detritus was very visible. This is not the case with mixed substances (sand or gravel consisting of black/white/gray/tan etc). The roughness of the enriched substrates is a real issue; and they really do not offer any more benefit to plants. Up to you.

Byron.

matt_zak

AC Members
May 23, 2014
Amarillo, TX
I ordered the Seachem Black Sand. The site that I was going to get the driftwood from was charging too much for shipping (could only choose priority or faster). So, I will look again at the local stores in the next couple days for some driftwood. If they don't have any that I like then I'll order online this week. The local nursery's/landscaping places will be looked at too for some slate.

Also, while looking around the web I stumbled across "Design by Nature". A few emails corresponding with them today and it's looking like I'll be ordering a background this week too. Once I build the canopy and start the setup I will start taking some pictures of this journey.

Jake, those are some awesome pictures of your tank that you've taken. Well done! One question for you though...why are you running two 2215's?

Byron, you're a plethora of info! Thanks for your help & feedback. It's helped a ton.

Matt

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I ordered the Seachem Black Sand. The site that I was going to get the driftwood from was charging too much for shipping (could only choose priority or faster). So, I will look again at the local stores in the next couple days for some driftwood. If they don't have any that I like then I'll order online this week. The local nursery's/landscaping places will be looked at too for some slate.

Also, while looking around the web I stumbled across "Design by Nature". A few emails corresponding with them today and it's looking like I'll be ordering a background this week too. Once I build the canopy and start the setup I will start taking some pictures of this journey.

Jake, those are some awesome pictures of your tank that you've taken. Well done! One question for you though...why are you running two 2215's?

Byron, you're a plethora of info! Thanks for your help & feedback. It's helped a ton.

Matt
Because I'm a big fan of overkill and redundancy. If one dies, I have a spare. I know it's a LOT more than I need for my tank, but it keeps the water crystal clear and the fish happy.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

matt_zak

AC Members
May 23, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Here's the canopy that my friend and I built

Hope to get it cleaned out and running with water by this time next week. I'm still deciding on a black background or one by "designs by nature".

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I'm still deciding on a black background or one by "designs by nature".
I don't know anything about the Designs by Nature, but some of these so-called natural backgrounds can distract from the aquascape. The best background is one you really don't see or notice. So avoid any glossy (shiny) pictures which will reflect light and draw attention to themselves. Also nothing colourful, as this distracts from the fish and plant colours. Which is why plain black works so well, provided it is "flat" and not glossy. On my three larger tanks I have scenic backgrounds that are very dark so when the tank is full of water, fish and plants, you have to actually think about the back wall before you notice what it is. I use black construction paper on all the smaller tanks.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store