First new tank in 20 years! Help me decide between a 39 gallon, of 40 breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
I prefer 40 dimensions over 55 as well. I don't think anyone sells plastic style hoods for them but I've never looked to hard, light strip and glass versatop or diy 1/4" netting tops have been how I always went with them. Petco does sell a stand that fits them for like $55-60.
How do you make your top? What material do you use for netting? I am thinking I will need to add a top to my 40B so my clawed frogs don't leap out. :X

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
How do you make your top? What material do you use for netting? I am thinking I will need to add a top to my 40B so my clawed frogs don't leap out. :X
Screen window framing, the pizza cutter thingy, spline from home depot($15) Then depending on the size of what your trying to keep in home depot has 1/2" bird netting or I buy 1/4" online http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1768/ makes a nice clean look the netting doesn't sag from heat off the light fixture, and it doesn't block any light. Option number 2 would be plastic egg crate from the lighting dept $12 for a 4' x 2' sheet, cut to size with some sharp snips. The netting works best if your plumbed for a sump or using a canister but with some creativity you can work it around a HOB filter.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
The covers for 40g breeders are hard to find. I should know, I just got one this month. Had to have my LFS order them.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have a glass top on my 40b, I love that size tank. Actually I like it better then my 75g.
There's lots of room. I had no problem buying a stand for it. I ordered a wooden one from
my lfs. If you have time and know how build one. I have plants in mine, in all tanks you need
some pruning eventually.IMG_5125.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store