First Planted Tank-Walstad Style: Pic heavy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XMX

AC Members
Oct 22, 2011
The tank is looking nice. What do you think of the floaters? I had them once, but they multiplied too fast. I had to get rid of them because they were blocking all the light source.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I don't mind them too much. You are right about blocking the light though. I reduce my floaters to a patch the size of a half dollar, and in a week it has almost taken over the tank again. I am fine with it because a lot of my tanks fauna can be found in the roots of the duckweed. Baby shrimps and snails hang from the roots and little critters swim beneath it like a small upside down forest. Really fun to watch!

gonsouth

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
The unidentified plant is a banana plant, The bananas have rotted off and it grew roots. I have one in my aquarium and thats what happened. It now looks just like the one in your tank.

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
You are using mineralized soil... I don't see how there is anything remotely Walstad about that. You should join in the conversation I am hosting on an internet radio talk show about soil in the aquarium. We will be talking about mineralized soil, plus a new soil recipe invented by Chris Brown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store