First post: Newbie questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jderuiter

AC Members
Nov 21, 2001
Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I'm wanting to start a 25 gal SW tank too. I see lots of people use lace rock but can lava rock be used instead?
Also what do you run for filter media if anything, I'm thinking of using an AC 200 as a filter/skimmer, just going to remove the inlet tube. I was going to run it empty and was thinking the return would just add turbulence to the water.
Oriongirl your posts here and in other threads have been very informative. Good to see someone with experience sharing it with us "sw newbies" Thanks.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
since your tanks are so small, do not bother with lace or lava rock, just buy all live rock, and the smell is part of the game, you'll just have to put up with it for a few weeks (with such a small tank it shouldn't be too bad anyways)

as far as a skimmer, I think that any tank about 20g should probably get a skimmer

and as far as RO wate,r I think it's 100% necessary, you will have a big algae bloom after your cycle, there is no reason to fuel it even more, if you end up screwing up this may turn you off of the hobby, I think that these pieces of equipment will help you dramatically

I would also do some shopping at www.ahsupply.com and www.hellolights.com and look for some lighting for your tank, it may seem expensive at first, but PC lighting really isnt that expensive and it'll give you options of keeping corals and your tank will look better IMO

I can guarantee with 99% confidence that you will want to keep corals after seeing them and looking at pictures and you will kick yourself for not getting appropriate lighting right off the bat

good luck, keep the questions coming

tmace64

AC Members
Jun 9, 2003
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
i think thatd be kinda cool,,,, actually having a self contained, pressurized environment with an actual black smoker, all the tube worms, shrinp and crabs.... How the heck you'd power the black smoker chimney is beyond me - you figure it out...

Could you actually fry an egg on top of the aquarium structure???

sorry,,,,, waiting on a forever cycle,,,,,, and i need to get some rest from it........

tod

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store