first saltwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Just to clarify, a lion will work in the tank, just not setup as a reef. Go with live rock, the lion, and don't worry about adding corals. Some corals might be added eventually, once you have the maintenance routine down to keep the nitrates in check.

I kept a juvenile volitan lion in a reef until he was big enough to threaten the decorative shrimp. The tank was well established, did 30% water changes every other week, and never saw the nitrates above 10ppm. It can be done, you just have to plan accordingly to care for both the fish and the corals.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
ok well thats some good news, hehe. i'll just have to see if my "mommy" wants to fork over the $60 for the lion i want. she wants the tank so shes paying for everything, im just going to be the keeper of the tank, but technically it'll be her tank. just another question... at what temperature should i be cycling the tank at? i remember reading somewhere that the bacteria will multiply fastest at around 86 degrees farenheit and thus speeding up the cycle. is this true?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store