First Vivarium!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Cutting test #4 is starting to show signs of stress. It has wilted over and is now partially in the water.

The rest seem to be doing well. I have a feeling that all of the other 3 tests are going to root!

VenomR00

AC Members
Oct 3, 2010
Just noticed this post =P... I would remove both fish and frog then co2 bomb the tank with dry ice... it is the fastest and safest way because things can morph if given the proper environment. I would be worried that the nematoads would morph into a sect that can attack the frog or fish anyway (I am way to paranoid though). Just my concern to be honest. If you have a screen top then just go to lowes and have them cut a piece that would fit perfectly and then do it =P

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Just noticed this post =P... I would remove both fish and frog then co2 bomb the tank with dry ice... it is the fastest and safest way because things can morph if given the proper environment. I would be worried that the nematoads would morph into a sect that can attack the frog or fish anyway (I am way to paranoid though). Just my concern to be honest. If you have a screen top then just go to lowes and have them cut a piece that would fit perfectly and then do it =P
The nematodes are not going to morph into anything other than one of the 4 stages in the life of the nematode.

They will do absolutly no harm to the frogs by preying upon them and I have been in contact with the seller about the frogs eating an affect insect and he said it is highly unlikely that the nematode (or the bacteria with the nematode) will cause any harm to the frog. In fact he said he was 99.999% sure it would be absolutly fine.

I also asked him if the fish were in danger of coming across one that happened to make it's way in the water and he said they live on land their entire life and if submerged they will sink to the bottom and die within 12 hours.

The dry ice would have been a good idea but now having purchaced the nematodes, it's a little late. I know I will not be able to rid my tank entirely without using the CO2 method but if they can control the population than I am ok with having both the nematodes and the gnats.

I am going to let the tank set for a few weeks and then put some more springtails in the tank to help out the population. In the meantime I am looking for ways of allowing the frogs to climb in and out of the water. Because of the way the glass fits, they will not be able to just grab on to the glass and pull themselves up so I was thinink of using vine (real or fake) and sort of making it look like tree roots so they can use those to climb out. The only problem I am having is finding some vine thick enough.

If anyone has some other suggestion please share it!

Thanks!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
it's simple really.

take out the critters you plan on keeping. this is a fish forum... you should be able to get help with them if you need it (although, i don't think you do).
close the tank in. if you have to put a piece of packing tape over any air gaps around doors and a little saran wrap over the top for the time being it's doable.
gas the tank... make sure all the critters are dead.
air it out.
re-introduce your pets.

your plants should love it too as long as you don't put the freezing cold cup on top of any of them.

i don't see any downsides except moving your critters twice. i'd do this before introducing insectivorous nematodes. to each his own...

once again... sorry i didn't see this sooner.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I understand how to do the process, the only thing is, I have now spent money on the nematodes (they aren't cheep and then add shipping) and now I am just going to kill them? It is a great idea and would have been good but now that they're there I don't want to just waste the money I spent on them and go with a different method. Ya know what I mean?

Thank method is/was probably more effective but I have faith that the nematodes will work.

Even so, thank you very much for your help!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Another critter has been found in my tank! A small mite of some sort. I doubt it is a spider mite and looks similar in coloration to H. miles.

Also, my picture has eaten yet another adult gnat. Dispite the very large black spot in the picture, I still have quite a few adults flying around the tank. I can't even imaging how many there would be without that picture plant!

Also it seems all one million of my nematodes are on top of the soil "standing up" and waiving their heads around in search for food! I have seen several springtails, a few of the mystery bugs (critter 3) and several gnat larvae.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Well since the last post the picture has eaten two more gnats! I have no idea why but they are just drawn to it!

This last gnat that found it's way into the picture brought a question to my mind. After falling it, I could see it trying to climb back up the sides. Upon close inspection the "water level" is very low and only just above the large black mass of dead gnats. I read somewhere that the "water level" should be maintained (if the picture cannot do so) at 1/2 way up the pitcher. Is this true?

*Note, in the last post where it says picture so many times I meant to type pitcher! *Facepalm!*

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i think you are correct about the water level in pitchers. don't have experience myself so, can't say for sure. i will say it's a good idea to get those pitchers out of there since overfeeding can dessicate a cp fairly quickly. if the tank is infested it's going to get overfed no matter what you do aside from instant and complete eradication of all pest species.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I just checked the care sheet of the pitcher plant and it said you can prolong the life of the actual pitcher by maintaining the water level at half way.

Also, by "getting the pitcher out of there" do you mean cutting the pitcher off?

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
no, no, no... you want to get the entire plant out of a bug infested area before it gets overfed and dies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store