Fish are Friends, Not Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AzuraAzelle

Registered Member
Jun 12, 2015
My boyfriend and I have taken on the responsibility of a 55 gallon tank and it's two inhabitants when a friend's family member moved into a small apartment. We had previously been discussing getting a tank, however it's been many years since either of us have had one.

We are already doing our research about tank care for our two current fishy friends, but stuff
we'd also like to add more life to the large tank.

Our two current fish are a rather large blood parrot(this Lil guy is the size of my boyfriend's fist) and a plecostomas that is relatively similar in size. (Yes two fairly big fish we have.) I've tried doing some research and get a few different answers bit wanted to know what any of you might recommend add habitat mates for my new friends.

I always wanted a puffer, but I know they are ill suited wit my blood parrot.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Welcome to the forum!
Is the pleco a common? If so, it will need at least a 125 gallon, imo.
Puffers can't be with other fish, unless you want to see a bloodbath. They take out chunks of other fish with their beaks.

Reactions: Duckie

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
As Anders said, common plecos can get really big. You might want to find out just what sort he is prior to adding any more fish.

Reactions: Anders247

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I am glad someone else says that fish are friends not food,I thought that I was the only one who said that.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I know of one avid fish keeper on another board who 'inherited' a common pleco from his daughter. He kept it by himself, in a 55g. This pleco was easily 16" long. I am by no means the king of light stocking but to me, the common pleco and parrot is maxed for a 55g.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
I know of one avid fish keeper on another board who 'inherited' a common pleco from his daughter. He kept it by himself, in a 55g. This pleco was easily 16" long. I am by no means the king of light stocking but to me, the common pleco and parrot is maxed for a 55g.
That's longer than the average 55g is wide. That is in no way humane at all.
Commons need at least a 125, imo.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's longer than the average 55g is wide. That is in no way humane at all.
Commons need at least a 125, imo.
I can't disagree with you there. I stated the size to try to persuade the OP to consider re-homing the CP. They should be kept in a 6ft tank.

Reactions: Anders247

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Might be nice to find out what size it currently is....before stating a 55 is too small....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store