Fish compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I'd like to know if these fish are compatible:
1. pearl and blue gourami with yellow rainbow fish
2. blackskirt tetra with corydoras

first is
my tank i've been posting about.
second is another tank, the blackskirts do not eat off the bottom and there's a lot of uneaten food so I thought on getting corydoras to help eat all that uneaten food.

thoughts?

i've been reading on gouramis with rainbows and nothing i have found explicitly says they shouldn't be together, however gouramis (pearl or blue) are never in the list of compatible tankmates.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
these are the rainbows I have my eyes on:
I know these are in the same tank as gouramis but this is a LFS and one locally known to be somewhat neglectful to pets

P_20231129_173515_1.jpg
P_20231129_173551.jpg

P_20231129_173513.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
45 gallons is too small for those rainbowfish species (boesemani can reach 7 inches as adults)

The gouramis also both get too large (5-6") for a 45g, should have a larger setup to allow a loose shoal of them since both pearls and three spots are social with their own kind. And both get large.

The skirt tetras and corydoras are compatible though and would do well in a 45g!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My 2 cents, pearl gouramis are way "wimpier" than blue. Blue gouramis may be able to live with rainbows (I've never had the big species) but I wouldn't risk pearls with them. To me big rainbows are kinda like danios. They tend to strike at anything that might be food, hungry or not...including slower moving fish with tempting fins.

Skirt tetras should be fine with most corys in a 45 like Noodle said.

Be careful judging compatibilities based on shop tanks. Almost all are juvenile sized. & shops have many tank options if there issues.

Reactions: NoodleCats

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
45 gallons is too small for those rainbowfish species (boesemani can reach 7 inches as adults)

The gouramis also both get too large (5-6") for a 45g, should have a larger setup to allow a loose shoal of them since both pearls and three spots are social with their own kind. And both get large.

The skirt tetras and corydoras are compatible though and would do well in a 45g!
:(
i was hoping these were dwarf rainbows. Im surprised this fish store even has bosemani because they are very rare to get here (I even thought they were never imported). months ago there was another LFS that, according to them, had dwarf rainbows and were exactly like the ones in the picture above.

Anyway, I just got notified that a LFS has brought in white cloud mountain minnows and glow light danio. I would love to get the white clouds but due to they being cold water fish I will have to skip them 😭. however, glow light danios conditions seem to match my gouramis so I assume they will be fine together?

the tetras + corys will be in a 20 gallon tank, not in the 45. julii cory to be exact.

Reactions: NoodleCats

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
My 2 cents, pearl gouramis are way "wimpier" than blue. Blue gouramis may be able to live with rainbows (I've never had the big species) but I wouldn't risk pearls with them. To me big rainbows are kinda like danios. They tend to strike at anything that might be food, hungry or not...including slower moving fish with tempting fins.

Skirt tetras should be fine with most corys in a 45 like Noodle said.

Be careful judging compatibilities based on shop tanks. Almost all are juvenile sized. & shops have many tank options if there issues.
yes, my pearl is mellower than my blue but he does get aggresive during feeding time.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I wouldn't mix gouramis no matter what kind they are. I owned a female pearl for years and would probably still have her had she not jumped out of the tank. She was a bit timid as F fishorama mentioned.

I also have a male blue gourami that I've had for 4-5yrs.. He's been in a planted 55 with an albino Jack Dempsey and a dojo loach. The JD shoves him around sometimes.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
i was hoping these were dwarf rainbows. Im surprised this fish store even has bosemani because they are very rare to get here (I even thought they were never imported). months ago there was another LFS that, according to them, had dwarf rainbows and were exactly like the ones in the picture above.

Anyway, I just got notified that a LFS has brought in white cloud mountain minnows and glow light danio. I would love to get the white clouds but due to they being cold water fish I will have to skip them 😭. however, glow light danios conditions seem to match my gouramis so I assume they will be fine together?

the tetras + corys will be in a 20 gallon tank, not in the 45. julii cory to be exact.
As long as your gourami doesn't eat the danios, they tend to run a little smaller than zebra danios... barely over an inch. Could wind up a snack for a larger pearl gourami.

Temperature wise, very little overlap between the two.

BUT

You could do the glowlights OR mountain minnows with the cories (unlikely to be true julii cories, most labeled as julii are actually trilineatus) in the 20g comfortably at a nice temperature of 72-74F

Reactions: FreshyFresh

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)

Also to note for future for you, regarding the ID of the rainbows.

Half yellow body is a boesemani trait (as well as parkinsoni) but look at the dorsal fins... white trim to them. This is a clear boesemani trait. Females tend to be plainer, but still have yellow tones and a faint hint of the edged fin.

When I got my boy as a juvie
20230413_170528.jpg

And a little older
IMG_20230908_2303gg35.jpg

Dwarf (praecox) have solid yellow, solid orange, or solid red fins depending on age and sex, never have any black or white edges on the fins.
I've bred these guys and have juvie photos too.

Adult male
20221216_000701.jpg

Adult female to upper left with yellow fins, juvie male on right with red
20220206_163337.jpg

Juvenile female
20220206_162818.jpg

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
As long as your gourami doesn't eat the danios, they tend to run a little smaller than zebra danios... barely over an inch. Could wind up a snack for a larger pearl gourami.

Temperature wise, very little overlap between the two.

BUT

You could do the glowlights OR mountain minnows with the cories (unlikely to be true julii cories, most labeled as julii are actually trilineatus) in the 20g comfortably at a nice temperature of 72-74F
the thing is that 20 gallon with black skirt belongs to my mother and she would not like giving away her fish for new one that is why my options must include the black skirts.

I used this calculator and it seems the corys (false juliis) are compatible with the black skirt

1701671468361.png

probably not precise, but at least an idea of how stocked the tank will be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store