Fish for a 45

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

driverswanted07

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2003
Soso, Mississippi
Visit site
First off...I'm new here so HEY everyone.

Ok, I have a 45 gallon aquarium that we've had for a few years. We had a Red Devil Chiclid in it for years and it died so now were looking to put some other things in it.

It currently has 4 Neon Tetras and 2 Female Guppies. It would have more guppies but we ALWAYS kill them and for some reason the 2 UGLY ones lived. Anywho...I just would like to know what would look good in the tank. I've been looking toward some of these:
Rosy Barbs
Tiger Barbs
Serpae Tetras
Red-Eye Tetras
more Neons
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Zebra/Pearl Danios

I just would like to know what would make a good combo in the tank, would be hardy, look good in schools, and I also don't know how many of each to put in the tank.

THANX!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Barbs in general are nippers, so if you add them to your tank you can count on having ragged guppies. I'm not a fan of most barbs--just MO, nothing bad about them as fish.

I would add 5-6 more neons--they will school better with more of them there. Bigger schools are more comfortable than smaller ones if you have an aggressive fish in there.

I like both tetras, as well as the silver tips. A group of about 5-6 should be an attractive larger fish grouping.

Danios are very hardy, and are constantly moving, chasing each other. No aggression, just lots of activity. The zebras are hardier than the variety tyes--the blues, leopard and pearls tend to be much shorter lived, as well as prone to disfigurements (hump backs).

You may want to look at some bottom dwellers--various cats, cories and 'plecos' will do nicely, just check that the chosen pleco won't outgrow your tank (ie, no commons!). Kuhli loaches are a fun fish in groups of 5+--very sociable, and attractive. You could also pick a peaceful cichlid, like an apisto species, and add a pair as centerpiece fish (they're happiest in planted tanks, though--you don't mention!).

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store