Fish for guppy population control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Angels keep the guppy population in check in my 125g. They even leave the adults alone. Every now and then a few make it to adulthood and if I am not keen on them I just donate them to my LFS or friends. I have rams in mine too that help with the issue. I actually put the guppy in the tank years ago because my daughter hit me at a weak moment and "just had to have them" lol. Still have the original two males, couldn't tell you at this point if it's the same 3 females. I try to keep just a school of 3-5 girls in the tank. My friends with tanks have learned not to "admire" the females or too many of the young angels. The words "Oh that's pretty" usually ends up with me packing them in a bag and sending home to new tanks.

I'm sorry to say this, when I saw the picture of your guppy everywhere it made me literally lol. MAN you have the rabbits of the guppy world, and that's really saying something.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
If you want something smaller, how about a bumble bee catfish. It gets about 3" and loves snacking on smaller fish. An adult bumble bee might be able to take on a small male guppy, but with guppy fry around it would target them instead. A few of these little catfish should solve your problem.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
If you want something smaller, how about a bumble bee catfish. It gets about 3" and loves snacking on smaller fish. An adult bumble bee might be able to take on a small male guppy, but with guppy fry around it would target them instead. A few of these little catfish should solve your problem.
Oh, that's actually brilliant! I love those little catfish. Hmmm...do I need some for my tank? :D Actually, do you think they would go after Khuli Loaches? The angels and rams ignore them and I would hate to lose them.

Rev_Jim_Jones

AC Members
May 15, 2011
South Jersey
Real Name
Mat
I use Pack of Black Skirt tetra's as Guppy eaters, I have a school of 6 that just can't wait until the next batch is born. They don't get them all mind you every now and then one makes it past 1/4inch and the skirts stop hunting them down.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I'm kinda wanting some guppies now.They'd make some excellent feeders for my cichlids.;)

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Since your tank is an 80 gallon, I would get between 3-6 of the catfish. If you have less, you may not need to feed the catfish as they will feed entirely on the fry. I vaguely remember someone talking about how they had a fish that only survived on the fry of the other fish in that tank.

starfishplus

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
in N.C
I would love some guppies if you wanted to sell some and ship them . i could take alot i have a 75 in need of more fish.Just PM me thanks.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Sell sell sell! You could be making bank.

:cheers:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store